Repairs MTD 13AF693G118 Steering Rod Replacement

Medtech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I have a 2002 MTD Riding Mower, model 13AF693G118. I'M trying to replace the steering shaft. When putting the shaft back in I noted that the steering plate doesn't properly mesh with the steering rod gear. Is there a way to adjust the steering plate so that it meshes closer with the steering rod? I believe that was the problem all along that stripped the teeth off the gear. The steering rod was purchased from the MDT parts site using the model previously indicated. Thanks for your help.

:anyone:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the bushing on the steering shaft where it goes into the frame. My guess is that it is worn, allowing too much play between the steering gear and plate. Some models also have a bushing where the plate is mounted, check that one also.

Medtech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I checked the plastic bushing and noted that it wasn't seated properly. Also the steering plate had loose bolts. I seated the bushing, retightened the steering rod screw and the steering plate bolts. The steering rod gear is now meshing properly with the steering plate and steering is tighter than it was before the problem started.

Thanks again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess I got lucky on this one with that suggestion. Glad to hear problem solved.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now get spray lithium grease and cover that sucker with it.