I'm a newbie here! But, I've already learned some VIP Briggs n Stratton stuff!

marcpilot1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I'm a newbie here! But, I've already learned some VIP Briggs n Stratton stuff!
Hi! Marc C., in S.C. Man, I'm really glad and excited that I found this place! I found a lawn mower the other day, it wouldn't start, then I found this site. There's a lot of info here and now, it's running! And, it's running nice and smooth, 1st pull! I couldn't believe it when it started up the 1st time. So yea, it actually runs now!

I was able to get this broken down lawn mower running again through all the info I got here, and only here! Needless to say, if you can't already tell, I'm all proud of myself, like I've done rebuilt some airplane engine or something! Anyway...it's not an airplane engine so I'm not sure what all the pleasure is from. And it's actually an old, 2000, MTD, series 500, with a small Briggs/Stratton motor on it. But it's running! For around 20 bucks, it's running fine. So, thanks for that!

But I still have at least 1 more thing to do before I can mow the yard with it. It needs the oil changed but I havent figured that out yet. And, I'm sort of wondering if I should change it a little differently because it had sat up for so long.
I haven't found out that info on here yet, but I know it's in the site! So with a little more hunting around, i'll find something pertaining to this final issue!
So thanks again! And nice to meet you all!!

BTW, it's just an old push mower. A 2000. It says MTD, "Yard Machine", on it? Ever heard of that kind? It has a Briggs Stratton little motor on it. It's def not self propelled and it seems like it has long been discontinued. Not the grand prize winner by no means! (just throwing that out there so you all would know this wasn't some great feat I accomplished)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / I'm a newbie here! But, I've already learned some VIP Briggs n Stratton stuff!
Well done, glad we were of help that is what it is all about.
Have a look underneath and see if there is a drain bolt.
If not then you will need to tip it over to change the oil or buy a little syringe type oil change pump & pump it out.
Oil is much better changed when hot and well mixed up.
So if the oil level is below the bottom mark on the dip stick top it up.
Then mow your yard and when you have finished and the oil is really hot and well mixed, change the oil.
With a mower of unknown history it is a good idea to change it two or three times in short times.
Buy the red mower oil to start with so you can see easily how clean the engine is by the colour change after you mow.
You might find this post helpful
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/39480-Briggs-Stratton-push-mower-little-engine-how-to-change-oil

Tyy

Threads
Congrats Bro ! Ain,t Life Grand !! Just a further note of info , should your oil be down just a little . Use a few ounces of Sea Foam Fuel & Oil Conditioner to bring you level up to snuff . This product will help reduce sludge accumulation over time within an older engine . Also ensure to use Sae. 30 Premium oil only . As Bert says after a warm up drain the old oil out . Oh in a pinch you could add a few ounces of Tranny fluid to assist with the engine oil cleaning process , your choice lol .

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
Congrats on getting your new find going!