Cub Cadet LT1046, no longer starts, seeking advice (new to forums)

Country4687

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet LT1046, no longer starts, seeking advice (new to forums)
Let me preface this by saying that I've honestly never been car/mechanical repair type of guy, so feel free to pretend I'm dumb when trying to explain things.

I own a Cub Cadet LT1046 (purchased in 2005/2006 I believe) that I leave at my mother's house to mow her lawn. The past few years, my mother elected to send the mower to a local repair shop for a "tune-up special" every spring that costs around $180. After reading the last bill and seeing that they were basically just replacing the battery/oil and filters, I thought I'd be smart and just do it myself and save her a decent amount of money. So, last year I did nothing to winterize it, slapped on a new battery/spark plugs (oil seemed OK for whatever reason), and it managed to start 2-3 times this season.

Two weeks ago, the engine would no longer start. It will "turn over" and crank and crank like it was almost there, but just can't quite make it there. Did some reading, tried replacing the air filter and fuel filter, both to no avail. Upon a neighbor's advice and a guy from Home Depot, I'm being told at the moment that because I failed to winterize last year, the fuel in the mower has likely gummed up within the carburetor, and that it needs to either be cleaned or replaced. Not exactly the news I wanted to hear, but I've decided to be stubborn and say that I got myself into this mess, so I going to do whatever it takes to get myself out of it on my own (AKA trying to avoid the repair shop).

Trying to avoid deconstructing the mower, I've elected to try a product I found at Home Depot called "Mechanic in a Bottle". I have my doubts as to whether it will work or not, but paying $12 or so to avoid taking my lawn mower apart seemed like a fair trade. With all of that said, here are my questions:

1. "Mechanic in a Bottle" is asking me (for non-running engines) to pour it into an empty gas tank and prime it into the carburetor. I honestly don't know how to do that with the engine not working. Can you explain how to prime fuel/this substance into the lawn mower's carburetor? Also, how do I drain it out once the product has sat for the allotted time?

2. Based on the information given, do you agree that this is the most likely cause of my problem? If not, what do you suggest could also be wrong?

3. Should the carburetor needs to be cleaned/replaced, can you either provide some type of description or even a link to somewhere on how I could possibly do this myself?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think the carbureator would gum up with just setting one winter. If so it would not need replaceing just cleaning. As far as not runing it could be a lot of things. It needs fuel, compression, spark and timeing and it will run. You are going to need tools to check these things. If you don't know what you are doing take it to someone who does. I can see you doing small jobs like oil changes, filters, grease and battery change. You can do more damage then good not knowing what you are doing.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I own a Cub Cadet LT1046
1. "Mechanic in a Bottle" is asking me (for non-running engines) to pour it into an empty gas tank and prime it into the carburetor. I honestly don't know how to do that with the engine not working. Can you explain how to prime fuel/this substance into the lawn mower's carburetor? Also, how do I drain it out once the product has sat for the allotted time?

2. Based on the information given, do you agree that this is the most likely cause of my problem? If not, what do you suggest could also be wrong?

3. Should the carburetor needs to be cleaned/replaced, can you either provide some type of description or even a link to somewhere on how I could possibly do this myself?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

First welcome to LMF...
The Idea that $180 is 'special' is amazing.... You don't need a new battery every year. (should last 2or3)..
You should change the oil and filters every year... Spark Plugs should last MANY years.
Last fall you should have either emptied the fuel & tan the carb dry OR added a fuel stabilizer (like Stabil) ... You can do that next fall.

Your carb is not worn out, at worst it is plugged up... a good, or even a not so good cleaning should get you going...
I believe you have a Kohler 2cylinder engine... so go to this site, Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety
Scroll down till you start into the Kohler carbs, when you see yours it will show you how to disassemble and clean and reassemble ... (take your time it's not difficult)

The "Mechanic in a Bottle" I would return and get regular spray carb cleaner... If you can't return it, use it as a pour on/in cleaner, won't be as handy as the spray stuff... You can do this... :smile:KennyV

CajunCub

Threads
I own a LT1046 too, and I cannot imagen it never starting. But the mechanic in me sees a few simple things a rookie like you can do. Starting with KennyV's answer...It should not have carberator problems over just 1 winter storage. There is a few safety switches that could cause this problem too. So pull the plugs out and insert a spark plug into the wire and ground the plug to the block. Spin it over to see if you got fire. You'll have to be on the seat to make it fire, so someone watching it will help. If you have fire....while the plugs out, spray a little carb. cleaner in the plug holes and spin it over to loosen any sticking valves. Screw the plugs back in and remove the air filter, Now spray a little carb. cleaner in the intake as you spin it over...it should start. Choke it as it begins to fire up. If it starts, run it wide open for a while. If you need more help...holla:wink:

thegman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Every year before I put up my mower for the winter I add a full can of Seafoam SF16 to a full tank of gas and make my last cutting of the the 2 acres I own. I then let the mower run at idle until the mower runs out of gas. I have never had any carburetor issues or fouling of the spark plug.