HRX217 autochoke question

adam1991

Threads
Brand new HRX217K5HYAA here. Replaced a Snapper w/Briggs engine with autochoke, and never had a problem with that. I expect the technology is mature.

But I have a question: why does my throttle lever go past the Fast setting and into what, on other models, is marked as Choke?

I understand how the autochoke works; it seems to me that it works in reverse of a hand choke, in that by default the choke is pulled closed by the spring--and goes open against the spring only when pushed on by the cylinder from the wax plug, when it's heated up.

If my throttle lever goes past the Fast setting, then, is it doing anything at all? Is it forcing the choke closed? Could there be damage if it's pushed there while the mower runs and the autochoke tries to push the choke open? I ask because I have kids who may or may not be thoughtful about proper operation--plus they came from using grandpa's old John Deere 14SE that's just like the Honda except it has the manual choke that they know how to use. (Know anyone that wants the 14SE? It's for sale. I chose a new Honda over the 1989 Deere.)

BTW, I read with some interest many posts about the engine surging up and down unless the blade is engaged. I get that at startup, but it settles down and runs smoothly after a few cycles of that with the blade disengaged (so far; we'll see what cooler weather brings). For the record, I'm using Shell 93 with Opti-Mizer Max additive. (Been using that for awhile.)

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
But I have a question: why does my throttle lever go past the Fast setting and into what, on other models, is marked as Choke?

If my throttle lever goes past the Fast setting, then, is it doing anything at all? Is it forcing the choke closed? Could there be damage if it's pushed there while the mower runs and the autochoke tries to push the choke open?

The detent position on the throttle lever that goes past FAST is just a hold-over from earlier models that *did* have a CHOKE position. Some Honda commercial models still use this part, as do some European models that are made in the same plant. So, to keeps parts-sharing up and costs down, it was decided to not make a different throttle, but to just remove the CHOKE mark from the sticker. The detent thus remains.

No harm will result if you push it too far; there is no mechanical connection between the throttle lever and the choke on autochoke models. The autochoke is mechanically independent from the throttle/governor controls.