New HZA, 2nd mow, reduction in power, blade won't engage, throttle won't engage :(

atlasoff

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New HZA, 2nd mow, reduction in power, blade won't engage, throttle won't engage :(
Hi everyone!

I just invested in a Model# HRX217HZA (basically because I'm a gal who lives alone and I NEED KEY START!) (AND POWER! :wink: ). I will give my first-born to anyone who can help me make my lawn world right again.

For the first use, the mower started up beautifully, cut, propelled, everything perfect. For the second mow yesterday, I did about half the lawn after the same smooth start-up, blade engagement, & propulsion, and then BOOM! There was a reduction in power, the blade disengaged, and the machine stopped propelling for a few seconds, and then shut-off completely.

I assumed it was a fuel issue, so I walked the mower back to the garage and filled it up. It did seem to be low, but it wasn't empty. I started the mower again, and it started, but ran at a reduced power level, blade won't engage, propulsion not functioning. GAH!!!!

The possibly relevant details:
- I ran the mower through a few small but heavily saturated dips in the lawn that had water. I'm a pretty good mower, so understand, they weren't mini-lakes. They're just dips in the lawn that collect water that lies about 1-inch above the ground level.
- When I filled the gas tank, I accidentally gave the side a bit of a dousing (tired arms)
- I ran the mower over some sticks and weeds and what not, but I took a quick look at the blade, and there's nothing that's obviously blocking or wrapped around any part of it.
- This happened yesterday afternoon, and I have not restarted the mower yet today (neighbors sleeping) to see if it functions normally after a good night's sleep.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong and how I could fix it will make me the happiest girl ever. I'm so frustrated about this.

Thanks, everyone!!!!

Julie

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / New HZA, 2nd mow, reduction in power, blade won't engage, throttle won't engage :(
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31VH7L020.pdf see page 16, be patient & take your time going over these items, also check air filter, i always try to use fresh high octane gas with a quality brand fuel additive from auto parts store per directions on bottle for pre- mix in gas can. let us know how it goes. i assume mower is still under warranty so do not tamper or worry about mower.

atlasoff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the manual, Mark. I'll go through everything with a fine-tooth comb. Thanks also for the comment on fuel. I'll treat her better from that standpoint. :)

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the engine will start up, but what happens when you move the throttle from FAST to SLOW? Does the engine speed up and down, or what?

What exactly happens when the engine is running and you try to engage the blades?

Same thing for when you engage the drive lever...what exactly happens? Engine dies or ???