Honda HRX 217 Transmission Troubles

renochs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HRX217 self-propelled mower that is not self-propelling.
S/N is MAGA-1408598, so I think it uses part # 20001-VE5-A01 (Harmony Hydrostatic Transmission)

My first thought was to adjust the cable, as the resistance had gotten a bit slack, so I tightened it and it felt better, but still did not move much. It would pull itself along on flat ground, but had no power.

Next I replaced the drive belt (which was harder than it sounded), but the situation is the same. So I am down to the transmission.

Question: should I try to service the transmission, or just replace it? It's a bit of a pain to get to, even to refill the oil, and I haven't seen any evidence of fluid leaking. Is it likely that adding fluid would help this situation? Are there other fix-able things that go wrong with these transmissions? I don't mind doing whatever work it needs, but don't want to waste a bunch of time taking it apart and putting back together multiple times. At the same time, I don't want to drop $200 on a new transmission unnecessarily.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/c/honda_power_equipment_lawn_mower/parts

http://www.hondalawnparts.com/pages...SSION_(2)/HRX217K1-HXA/2414VH7401AVH74F0601GA

great prices, ship fast to your door

http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hpe/505ce4a9f870022d24bdc765/transmission-2

remove spark plug for safety, keep right & left side parts in order & separate, take your time, if you don't have a workbench a pickup truck bed works great, place boards under deck at rear so back wheels can be removed first, belt, etc. let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Honda HRX217 self-propelled mower that is not self-propelling.
S/N is MAGA-1408598, so I think it uses part # 20001-VE5-A01 (Harmony Hydrostatic Transmission)

Hmmm...that serial number is coming up as a SmartDrive (not Hydrostatic). Do you have grey ground speed control in the middle? That's a SmartDrive model (VKA) not a hydrostatic type, FYI...

29717115895_ebbcb1b4a7_o.png

Anyway, I've got some extensive troubleshooting document for that mower's SmartDrive; drop me a Private Message with your email address and I'll send it to you:

29606218482_557139234d_o.png

Two Final Things:

1. You have a "K1" version, so pay attention when going through the document, as it covers K1~K6 models.

2. According to the records here at Honda, there was Product Update for your mower issued back in 2008 to correct a possible issue with hard starting of a cold engine. You may or may not have this issue, but if you are, there is an improved carburetor that will help. Let me know if you are having any cold-starting issues, and I'll get you more details.
29606200362_154b504afb_o.png

Lethalink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert@Honda. I have the HRX217K5VLAA serial MAGA-2789822 and am also having problems with the propulsion which I purchased on 6/18/2018. It worked great all summer the first year. Last year it seemed I had to squeeze the Smart Drive Control more to go and this year, fully squeezed/opened up, it doesn't work at all. The first two mows it helped only very slightly, but as of now, nothing. I don't know how to send a private message, but I see where you offered some extensive troubleshooting document for the Smart Drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

rbiest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert@Honda. I have the HRX217K5VLAA serial MAGA-2789822 and am also having problems with the propulsion which I purchased on 6/18/2018. It worked great all summer the first year. Last year it seemed I had to squeeze the Smart Drive Control more to go and this year, fully squeezed/opened up, it doesn't work at all. The first two mows it helped only very slightly, but as of now, nothing. I don't know how to send a private message, but I see where you offered some extensive troubleshooting document for the Smart Drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Did you receive that document from Robert? I am having the same issue and would like to read through it.

gotomow

Threads
Did you adjust the drive cable?
I think Robert@honda no longer visits the forums.

rbiest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you adjust the drive cable?
I think Robert@honda no longer visits the forums.
The drive cable is working properly so I am thinking it must need a belt replaced.

gotomow

Threads
Could be the belt. Sometimes the plastic bushings that support the drive shaft are so worn the transmission cannot compansate and the speed drops that way.

rbiest

Forum Newbie
Threads
The issue was actually the drive cable which I thought was working properly. Once you mentioned to adjust it, I went out to the garage to do that and the self propel started working. Thanks! Now I don’t need to waste my time replacing the belt.

rothomas

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert@Honda
I have a HRR216K3VXA that stopped self propelling. I replaced the belt with no improvement and then the transmiison. Still no self propelling. Any ideas