Kohler 20 hp engine won't start

popsljc

Threads
Got a Cub Cadet with a 20 hp engine. It is not getting gas to the engine. The engine does have a fuel pump so how could I check this. Also could the gas tank have something stopped up? I disconnected the gas line at the gas filter and did not have a strong flow of gas coming out. Any suggestions??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the fuel pump by removing the fuel line from the carb, put it in a catch jar and crank the engine.
Fuel gushes out the pump is OK.
There are speck somewhere for it you are supposed to shove a long clear tube on the end and it pumps "X" inches of head.

Try some starter fluid down the carb throat, if the mower runs till it burns out and the pump is pumping and the float bowl is full of fuel then you are left with the fuel solenoid or valves.
When you turn the ignition on & off the solenoid should open & close, if not then confirm the wiring before you consign it to the trash can as the aint cheap.
If the solenoid is working properly then pull the rocker cover off and verify the valves are moving in sync with the piston.

popsljc

Threads
Engine will run with starter fluid but as soon as you stop spraying it kills. I will check the fuel pump next.

popsljc

Threads
Checked the fuel pump and it was pumping good. Guess what the plastic bottle that I filled half full was almost water.
I did this a couple of times and think that I got most of the water out. R an the battery down and quit. Next will charge it and try again

gainestruk

Threads
If it doesn't start next check solenoid on bottom of carburetor like bertsmobile1 said, when you turn key on you should heat a loud click or thunk at carburetor, if it isn't working no gas will go thru carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the fuel line off at the petrol tank and drain it completely.
Leave it a couple of days without the fuel cap on to allow it to dry out completely.
There are a few little "sumps" to catch water & dirt built into the fuel tank.
As you mow, any water in them will slosh around and end up back in your carb.
Although we have been working on it for near 100 years no one has been able to get an engine to run efficiently on water :laughing: