Hydrostatic Trans. Fluid Change RZT 50

LT1045wrh

Threads
Hi Everyone,
Just completed a fluid change on the hydrostatic transmission on my older model RZT 50. I never did this, so thought it was about time to do so. It was pretty simple so I thought I'd post some pics of what I did. I took info from several of the posts here and videos elsewhere to get the job done. Here's what I did...

1. Clean, clean, clean. While my mower was cool I first cleaned the area with a jet power water stream, then with an air pressure gun. Clean the top surface of the transmission and the lower surface of the mower engine deck. You don't want any dirt falling into the trans fluid access plug hole.

2. After it's clean and dry, wipe it again with a cloth to be sure it's clean, then insert a 1/4 inch Allen wrench (or if you have a socket it is easier) and remove the plug. I had to use a metal pipe as a breaker bar to break the plug loose. Take out the plug. The plug is located in front of the vent port and tubing. I took off the vent tubing, be careful not to break the cheap plastic part, and cleaned the vent tube with Deep Creep. I found the tubing was pretty clogged with dirt and oil. I also cut off a 1/4" that attached to the barb, so it would be nice and tight when reinstalled.

ccrzt50_1.jpgccrzt50_2.jpg

3. Insert small hose and use siphon pump to suck out as much fluid as you can. I siphoned out 24 ounces of old dirty fluid. The fluid is thick and siphons out slowly, just keep pumping to get as much fluid out as you can. You may need to move the siphon hose around a bit to get into the bottom of the trans. I got my siphon pump from Harbor Freight for about $7, Walmart sells them too, back in the boating dept, I think.

ccrzt50_3.jpgccrzt50_4.jpg

4. Use a funnel and add new fluid to the trans. I used 20W-50 motor oil. I just put in 24 ounces, but I'll check the level after I mow once to be sure the level is as required. Many of the posts I've read say 1 inch from top of port. I used some of the tubing (about 5") that came with my siphon pump and attached it to the bottom of the funnel, so it would fit down through the access hole in the engine deck of the mower.

5. Replace the plug, put the vent tube back on and purge the trans for air pockets. There are many good posts for this and I followed those directions by disengaging the trans, starting the engine, and moving the go lever fwd and reverse a several times at normal operating speed.

Hope this helps some of you.
Keep on mowin'.
:cool:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just got done doing mine. It hold 55 oz of 20w 50 per side. I think you missed some. :smile: