MTD Spider 92 RD Mowing Deck Brakes?

XGamer223

Threads
Hello everyone.

We bought a MTD spider 92rd 42" 11.5hp lawnmower tractor. We bought it for about $200. It is in solid state, but the main problem is the mowing deck (blade deck).
1. the belt was not original, it was too large so it couldn't mow
2. we bought an aftermarket belt which works great
3. the problem is we can't stop the blades, they just keep rotating and mowing
4. as we saw on the internet, the deck SHOULD have deck brakes which eventaully should stop the blades from rotating
5. we can't find anything that looks like a brake, or something that would stop it from mowing
6. so, was it removed, or doesn't that model even have a blade brake?

Any help, thanks in advance

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
post your MTD model number, blade engagement lever possibly missing

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please do as Mark asked.

And consider this.

Virtually until the take over of Cub Cadet and the universal adoption of the Cub system across the entire range MTD moved the entire deck to tension the belt and thus drive the blades.
This works backwards to what most would think.
The springs are always pulling the deck back to tighten the belt.
The "engagement" lever pulls against these springs to move the deck forward when the blades are to be dissengaged.
Because every thing is always being pulled back by the deck springs, all of the linages flog out at the back of the holes.
The final outcome of this is the deck does not move far enough forward to get enough slack to allow the belt to slip so the blades do not stop.
Because the blades do not stop they wear out the brake pads which makes things worse.
Final nail in the coffin is owners who decide the MTD belts are too expensive and fit car fan belts which are designed not to slip .

By virtue of me being an independent repair shop. I get a lot of really old mowers to repair and regularly have to try 1/2 dozen belts in fractions sizes to find one that will compensate for the wear.
I have just done an old Yardman and we ended up fitting a belt 1.75" longer than the original.
2" longer and the blades slipped under heavy load , 1.5" too long and the blades would not disengage .
The alternative was $ 260 in replacement linkages and another $ 240 worth of welding to parts that were either too dear to replace, or not available ( these are OZ $ not US $ )

XGamer223

Threads
Please do as Mark asked.

And consider this.

Virtually until the take over of Cub Cadet and the universal adoption of the Cub system across the entire range MTD moved the entire deck to tension the belt and thus drive the blades.
This works backwards to what most would think.
The springs are always pulling the deck back to tighten the belt.
The "engagement" lever pulls against these springs to move the deck forward when the blades are to be dissengaged.
Because every thing is always being pulled back by the deck springs, all of the linages flog out at the back of the holes.
The final outcome of this is the deck does not move far enough forward to get enough slack to allow the belt to slip so the blades do not stop.
Because the blades do not stop they wear out the brake pads which makes things worse.
Final nail in the coffin is owners who decide the MTD belts are too expensive and fit car fan belts which are designed not to slip .

By virtue of me being an independent repair shop. I get a lot of really old mowers to repair and regularly have to try 1/2 dozen belts in fractions sizes to find one that will compensate for the wear.
I have just done an old Yardman and we ended up fitting a belt 1.75" longer than the original.
2" longer and the blades slipped under heavy load , 1.5" too long and the blades would not disengage .
The alternative was $ 260 in replacement linkages and another $ 240 worth of welding to parts that were either too dear to replace, or not available ( these are OZ $ not US $ )

Thank you for your info, my problem is probally the belt, which is an aftermarket, not from mtd 100%, I'll post some images showing the deck and belt number (if you need it more detailed just ask). I can't find any springs, but, when we turn off the blades with a handle, keeps rotating, but the belt seems a little bit "relaxed" but still keeps rotating. Any more info?
IMG_1195.jpgIMG_1196.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK disregard all that i wrote previously.
I should have checked the model and perhaps your location before posting
Your model number is 13dh452e676 and being in Bosnia not suprising this is a European rear discharge model.
I have looked over the parts diagrams that I could find in English & I can not find a brake either.
It looks like they press on the underside of the blade pulleys and are linked to the PTO pulley which is the one the blade lever moves to tighten & loosen the belt.
Despite being a 2008 model it has got the old MTD deck lift system with a bucket load of links & levers.
Check that the tensioning pulley can move through its full range and is not stopped by some debris stuck on the deck.

I have never seen nor worked on a European model so am a little out of my depth on this this one .
However with the USA ones we get down in OZ they are very sensitive to belt size and many times only genuine or OEM aftermarket belts will work properly.

XGamer223

Threads
OK disregard all that i wrote previously.
I should have checked the model and perhaps your location before posting
Your model number is 13dh452e676 and being in Bosnia not suprising this is a European rear discharge model.
I have looked over the parts diagrams that I could find in English & I can not find a brake either.
It looks like they press on the underside of the blade pulleys and are linked to the PTO pulley which is the one the blade lever moves to tighten & loosen the belt.
Despite being a 2008 model it has got the old MTD deck lift system with a bucket load of links & levers.
Check that the tensioning pulley can move through its full range and is not stopped by some debris stuck on the deck.

I have never seen nor worked on a European model so am a little out of my depth on this this one .
However with the USA ones we get down in OZ they are very sensitive to belt size and many times only genuine or OEM aftermarket belts will work properly.

Thanks for your time, I understand you that you're not experienced on European MTD tractors. I just really don't get it why it won't stop, the tensioning pulley "relaxes" the belt enough to stop, but still by high speed it still roatetes, it is forced to stop when the grass gets bigger. The best thing I could do is look for a original MTD belt, or just a larger one?? But hey, it's mowing. And also the worst thing is I have to start the mower with the blades on, I have to add WD40 on the belt so it starts easier. Thanks for your info, I know now the brakes never been there, and my worst fail is that I have an aftermarket belt!