Raptor SD Oil Change

BoylermanCT

Threads
I was doing my initial oil change on my Raptor SD, and according to the Kawasaki engine manual, you don't change the oil filter, just the oil. Does that make sense? The manual shows the oil bring changed at 8 hours and then again every 100 hours, and the oil filter being changed every 200 hours.

Kawasaki Engine Manual.jpg

The written instructions back the chart up saying to change the oil at 8 and 100 hours with no mention of the filter, and then the next section is about changing the filter at 200 hours.

I am used to always changing the filter at the same time as the oil. Any idea why Kawasaki would not have you change the filter each time. Makes me wonder since they would sell more filters!

So I followed the instructions and only changed the oil. Made it a quick and easy job with no spilled oil from removing the filter. But I am still scratching my head.

Attachments

• Kawasaki Engine Manual.jpg
    Kawasaki Engine Manual.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 21

turboawd

Threads
you won't harm anything by changing the filter every time. and i'd prefill the filter with oil before installing. will make less of a dry start, lube wise.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I always change the filter on the first oil change. Then every other oil change.
I change my oil every 50 hours ( 7 days )

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
you won't harm anything by changing the filter every time. and i'd prefill the filter with oil before installing. will make less of a dry start, lube wise.

If people do not know to fill the filter. Then they should not be doing a oil change.
Just saying.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I remember when you changed oil in a car it was recommended to only change the filter every other change. Dang I am showing my age.
Filters are cheep. Change them every oil change.

kraky

Threads
Well...I'll bite...ive never filled a filter. But I always idle at start up for a few minutes.
So how do you guys fill a filter....then turn it on its side and not have a bunch run back out all over the place. My fastrak is a challenge just getting a dry filter into place with my big hands!
Years ago at work the guys at work took a sick four stroke engine and drained the oil out of it and let it run.... I think it made it a half hour before seizing....

BoylermanCT

Threads
I'm with you Kraky. The filter is in a terrible spot on the RSD. I was trying to figure out how I was going to get the new one on while filled with oil without dumping the oil everywhere!

I decided to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not change the filter. Heck, what do they know...!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I always fill my filter even if some gets spilled .

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I always change the filter on the first oil change. Then every other oil change.
I change my oil every 50 hours ( 7 days )

I change mine at a 100 hours ,every other weekend I schedule for my guys to be off a Saturday that's when I service everything . Takes half a day if I don't find anything else to fix for all 3 mowers .

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I change mine at a 100 hours ,every other weekend I schedule for my guys to be off a Saturday that's when I service everything . Takes half a day if I don't find anything else to fix for all 3 mowers .

I do 50 because I run the older Kohler pro's. And have a lot of hours on them.

Now my work truck I just change the filter once in awhile. As I have to add some oil every few days.