Removing leaves--best options

jac233

Threads
I moved in to my property about a year ago on about 2 acres. Bought a freedom Z pro 61" and it did a great job mowing all summer.

Since this is my first fall here, and the previous owner said he paid $1000 for leaf removal, I'm interested in utilizing my freedom z pro to help.

What is the best way? Hurricane mulching kit, gator blades with chute blocked, etc? I don't really have anywhere to dump them. There is some woods, but previous owner said they would just blow out into lawn over the winter. I'm pretty sure the volume will be substantial; just looking for the most efficient way to get rid of them.

Thanks in advacne!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I moved in to my property about a year ago on about 2 acres. Bought a freedom Z pro 61" and it did a great job mowing all summer.

Since this is my first fall here, and the previous owner said he paid $1000 for leaf removal, I'm interested in utilizing my freedom z pro to help.

What is the best way? Hurricane mulching kit, gator blades with chute blocked, etc? I don't really have anywhere to dump them. There is some woods, but previous owner said they would just blow out into lawn over the winter. I'm pretty sure the volume will be substantial; just looking for the most efficient way to get rid of them.

Thanks in advacne!

Block the chute and put a set of Gator blades on and go at it.

Magsrgod

Threads
I second that! Get G6 Gator blades if you can.

How do the regular Oregon blades compare to the factory Scag blades? From the pictures it looks like they have more cutting surface per blade. The Scag dealer gave me a free set of blades when I bought the mower but if these are significantly better I'd pick up a set.

primerbulb120

Threads
I'm not familiar with the blades Scag uses on their mowers, so I can't really make a valid comparison. But in my experience the regular Gator blades usually work better than stock blades. It's not really the extended cutting edge that makes the difference, it's the mulching teeth on the back. They destroy leaves and when you're done it almost looks like you bagged the lawn. The quality of cut is better and on my mowers the Gator blades leave less stragglers than the stock ones.

The G6 Gator blades make stock blades look like toys, both in thickness and in lift. I haven't found anything that can surpass these blades in mulching or quality of cut. I've mulched foot-high Bahia grass with these blades. I did double cut it, but it looked great when I was done - no clumps or uncut grass laying on top of the lawn. Same thing goes for piles of hedge clippings, just run over them a few times and they're gone.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have used G6, G5 and stock Scag blades on my Tiger Cub and settled with G5s. When using a blocking plate, I notice a slight difference in the mulch size with the G5s compared to the stock blades.
As I do spring and fall cleanup for some folks, by far the best way is with a blower driven collection system. I have a Scag collection system on my machine which vacuums the lawn clean. My customers prefer this method of cleanup as mulching doesn't pick up the leaves, just cuts them up and leaves them there on the lawn.
Unfortunately, Scag doesn't have a blower driven collection system available for the Freedom series machines, just a mower deck airflow bagging system.
Having a place to dispose of the clippings on or near the customers property is necessary.
It comes down to what you feel is an acceptable amount of mulch that will remain on the lawn.
Most of my customers have pine trees and pine needles don't mulch and take a long time to decompose.

jac233

Threads
Thanks all for the great input!

I'm debating the following set up:

1. gator blades + permanent chute block (probably cheapest set up)
2. gator blades + operator controlled discharge chute (thinking this will allow me to keep it on year round for easy chute control vs. permanent block)
3. hurricane mulch system (pain in the butt to put on and expensive but supposedly best air lift under deck)

Is the hurricane mulch system really worth it? I know you have to install the baffles under the deck but not sure if this makes a huge difference. My concern is I really have no where to dump the leaves so I'm left with mulching only option.

Thanks in advance

Magsrgod

Threads
I'm interested as well in putting on the G6 blades and just doing a standard deck discharge. Anyone done this before?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks all for the great input!

I'm debating the following set up:

1. gator blades + permanent chute block (probably cheapest set up)
2. gator blades + operator controlled discharge chute (thinking this will allow me to keep it on year round for easy chute control vs. permanent block)
3. hurricane mulch system (pain in the butt to put on and expensive but supposedly best air lift under deck)

Is the hurricane mulch system really worth it? I know you have to install the baffles under the deck but not sure if this makes a huge difference. My concern is I really have no where to dump the leaves so I'm left with mulching only option.

Thanks in advance

The Hurricane mulching system is a great system but must be used with the Scag double cutting edge blades. The mulching system is setup so that each blade is independent as if three single blade mowers were connected together. The key to good mulching results is to mow often for both grass and leaf cleanup operating the machine at slower ground speeds. The slower the ground speed the longer the mulching process the smaller the mulch pieces. Leaves are high in acid, so applying pelletized lime will sweeten the turf and promote growth.
Without a mulching system but with mulching blades and a plate, you will get poor results and will have to repeat the mowing several times in different directions to get acceptable results.
With a complete mulching installed, you are locked into its capabilities/limitations unless you remove it and reinstall it when necessary.