Removing leaves--best options

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm interested as well in putting on the G6 blades and just doing a standard deck discharge. Anyone done this before?

I used G6 blades on my 48" Tiger Cub for one season. As they are heavy, the blade tip speed was slower and if an unmovable object is struck, the risk of more serious damage is possible. I was more comfortable with actual G5s and still use them. I know that Oregon has made some changes in their aftermarket Gator blade lineup. The label on my latest G5 blades said that these blades replaced the former G6 blades. These blades are narrower and thinner than the G6 blades that I have used in the past.
There are many factors that affect mowing results. Type of grass, moisture content, operator technique, ground speed, width of the cut, amount of the cut, blade tip speed, pitch of the deck. Generally a correctly setup mower deck has a 3/8" lower blade tip height with the blade forward. However there some grass types where having the forward blade tip height higher provides a better cut quality.
A Scag Liberty Z has aluminum spindle housings with a blade bolt that threads into the spindle whereas higher level Scag machines have a cast iron spindle housing and a 5/8" blade bolt that passes thru a heavier spindle and held in place with a locknut above the drive pulleys.

Last edited:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used G6 blades on my 48" Tiger Cub for one season. As they are heavy, the blade tip speed was slower and if an unmovable object is struck, the risk of more serious damage is possible. I was more comfortable with actual G5s and still use them. I know that Oregon has made some changes in their aftermarket Gator blade lineup. The label on my latest G5 blades said that these blades replaced the former G6 blades. These blades are narrower and thinner than the G6 blades that I have used in the past.
There are many factors that affect mowing results. Type of grass, moisture content, operator technique, ground speed, width of the cut, amount of the cut, blade tip speed, pitch of the deck. Generally a correctly setup mower deck has a 3/8" lower blade tip height with the blade forward. However there some grass types where having the forward blade tip height higher provides a better cut quality.
A Scag Liberty Z has aluminum spindle housings with a blade bolt that threads into the spindle whereas higher level Scag machines have a cast iron spindle housing and a 5/8" blade bolt that passes thru a heavier spindle and held in place with a locknut above the drive pulleys.

Please explain how a blade being heavier slows the velocity. Everything runs the same RPM and the blades are the same length.

clay45

Threads
Please explain how a blade being heavier slows the velocity. Everything runs the same RPM and the blades are the same length.
If you discover you are beginning to bog down you will notice it takes more energy to get everything back up to full rpm. You know it happens and you know it does.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Physics. A heaver object takes more power to move. A lighter blades takes less HP from your available Power range.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
A 2" ball filled with air you could kick a long distance. Now fill that ball with lead. How far can you kick that?

jac233

Threads
The Hurricane mulching system is a great system but must be used with the Scag double cutting edge blades. The mulching system is setup so that each blade is independent as if three single blade mowers were connected together. The key to good mulching results is to mow often for both grass and leaf cleanup operating the machine at slower ground speeds. The slower the ground speed the longer the mulching process the smaller the mulch pieces. Leaves are high in acid, so applying pelletized lime will sweeten the turf and promote growth.
Without a mulching system but with mulching blades and a plate, you will get poor results and will have to repeat the mowing several times in different directions to get acceptable results.
With a complete mulching installed, you are locked into its capabilities/limitations unless you remove it and reinstall it when necessary.

Thanks! That was what I was looking for. Can you tell me how difficult it is to put on/off? I've changed my blades once so far and that didn't seem too bad.

jac233

Threads
anyone have any idea how difficult the hurricane system is to install? So far I've been using gator blades but I'm finding I just have to keep going over the leaves, doubling my mowing time. I think the baffles are key to truly getting a good mulch set up but I'm wondering if this is a pain to install??

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The mulch system isn't difficult to install, but you need to start with a clean deck so the parts bolt up squarely and tight to the underside of the deck.
The front of the machine needs to be raised up as if you were changing blades.
While operating a mulching deck you need to be more mindful of objects that can contact and bend both a blade and the mulch baffles.
Mow more often and cut 1/2" or less at a time and the dryer the conditions are, the better results you will get both just mowing grass or mulching leaves.
Mulching leaves always takes more time and more passes to get acceptable results.

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welllll ..... you could buy a chainsaw and cut down all the trees and have ( or sell) lots of firewood !! ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Sorry , I apologize , ...... don't mind me, I get this way sometimes . ........Boobala ..:cool2:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Theeeeeere goes Boobala being naughty again. You take a time out right this minute!!! :dance1::banana::laughing::biggrin::smile: