ZTX 42

Scott S

Threads
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a ZTX 42 which the dealer is selling for $3199. Some of the reviews on the Gravely website indicate many complaints regarding the SmartChoke feature sticking and I don't see mention of a fix for it.

One guy wrote that the solenoid went out not long after he purchased it and another guy said the transmission went out the first time he cut his lawn and he claims he didn't hit anything or abuse it in anyway. Another guy wrote that it burns the lawn if you drive too slow and that the Gravely engineers know about the problem and don't do anything to resolve it. Finally, a customer said it leaves uncut grass if the deck is set any higher than 3.5. I don't know if these are legitimate reviews or issues, but would like opinions BEFORE I buy.

I have about an acre of mostly flat ground. Of course, many people write excellent reviews about Gravely mowers, but I am mostly concerned about the SmartChoke issue because it is the most common complaint (other than the hassle when trying to change the oil. Why doesn't Gravely have a permanent hose like most other ZTR's have?).

I live about 25 miles from the dealer and don't have a way to transport it so I would have to pay $75 for them to pick it up and deliver it back to me in addition to having to pay somebody to cut my lawn while it is being repaired. I need whichever mower I buy to be reliable and to give an even, great cut. I think that is certainly a reasonable expectation for any quality residential brand new ZTR that retails in the mid-3k range.

Any thoughts on this model or Gravely in general would be greatly appreciated.

Scott