Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine

Scott S

Threads
I have just under an acre of mostly level grass to cut.

I was considering getting a Gravely ZT 42 (Kohler 7000 V Twin) for $2699 when I stumbled upon the Toro. I know this is probably overkill for my needs, but the ZX4800 is touted as a commercial grade mower with an MSRP of $5399. I can get it from a Toro dealer for $3999. It is brand new and is a closeout special. I test drove it today and it had 0.1 hours on it.

I plan on keeping either mower for about 5 years and then selling it. I need the most dependable ZTR with the least maintenance cost which will bring the highest resale at the end of the five years. My budget is between $2500-$4000. I probably just need the Gravely, but I kind of want the Toro because it is a beast in comparison.

Are the annual maintenance costs (oil change, fluid change, blade replacement, filter, spark plugs, etc.) significantly higher on a Titan ZX4800 vs. a regular residential ZTR such as a Toro Timecutter SS4225?

I'm sure the Toro is the better mower due to the specs, however, it's also $1300 more than the Gravely. Is the price difference for my needs worth it?

Scott

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your needs are a push mower. Your want is a ZTR:laughing:. Either ZTR is over kill. One is 10 times more than you need and the other is 20 times more. Now as for value a commercial machine will always bring more money if not used commercially. From what I have seen on craigslist most ZTR's only loose around $500 to $1000 if they have low hours.
Cost for up keep for either ZTR will be small. Oil, filter and plugs. The commercial will have an added cost of around 5 quarts of oil for a hydro oil change. Should only have to do one for the small amount of yard you have. Keep all your receipts and put them in a folder with your manuals. It will make your mower worth $200 to $300 more having all of your documentation. Even if you do it yourself still keep all the receipts. I like to mark the hour meter time on the receipt so everyone knows when it was done.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Costs on commercials is dearer than on residentials.
Commercials use better spindle bearings either 6300 series or tapered rollers.
Commercials use thicker heavier blades
Commercials have better castor bearings and axle bearings.
Commercials have better hydros, usually fitted with an external filter and drain plug.
The air filters are better ( most times ) and substantially more expensive.

BEcause these mowers are designed to be used by professionals who make money out of them they are designed to be fully serviced by people who will actually service them.

Scott S

Threads
Your needs are a push mower. Your want is a ZTR:laughing:. Either ZTR is over kill. One is 10 times more than you need and the other is 20 times more. Now as for value a commercial machine will always bring more money if not used commercially. From what I have seen on craigslist most ZTR's only loose around $500 to $1000 if they have low hours.
Cost for up keep for either ZTR will be small. Oil, filter and plugs. The commercial will have an added cost of around 5 quarts of oil for a hydro oil change. Should only have to do one for the small amount of yard you have. Keep all your receipts and put them in a folder with your manuals. It will make your mower worth $200 to $300 more having all of your documentation. Even if you do it yourself still keep all the receipts. I like to mark the hour meter time on the receipt so everyone knows when it was done.

You make good points. Due to time constraints, I need to be able to mow the lawn as quickly as possible which is why I am getting a ZTR vs. a lawn tractor or a push mower. That being said, you're correct.............I want the Titan, but I really can't justify the extra money plus the potential higher repair costs.

I believe I'll just go with a residential ZTR which will suffice for my situation.

And, I agree with your remarks regarding the documentation.

Thank you.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a similar situation, my local Toro Dealer has a new ZX4800, they have marked down, I can get it for even less that $3999.

They will do a trade for my Toro Timecutter SS 4260 w/ Kaw FR engine. I have only 60 hours on mine since Aug 2014 & it's all documented, in my folder. My mower I bought new from them. And I wax it.

This would be my chance to upgrade to entry level Commercial, not that I need it. But it seems I want it. Main reason is wanting something built to last, hoping to have for long time.

I do all my own service work.

Guess it depends on how much they will give for mine in trade.

Appreciate any Expert input, good or bad.

Scott S

Threads
Have a similar situation, my local Toro Dealer has a new ZX4800, they have marked down, I can get it for even less that $3999.

They will do a trade for my Toro Timecutter SS 4260 w/ Kaw FR engine. I have only 60 hours on mine since Aug 2014 & it's all documented, in my folder. My mower I bought new from them. And I wax it.

This would be my chance to upgrade to entry level Commercial, not that I need it. But it seems I want it. Main reason is wanting something built to last, hoping to have for long time.

I do all my own service work.

Guess it depends on how much they will give for mine in trade.

Appreciate any Expert input, good or bad.

Well, I'm no expert, however, I did end up buying the ZX4800 for $3999 and have no regrets. It is a beast for my 1 acre and should last for many years. It cuts evenly and is a solid machine. I have cut my lawn three times and have 2.5 hours on it. My only concern is that it smokes for about 30 seconds (blue smoke) when first started if it hasn't been started in over a day. It can't be beat for that price. If you can get it for less than $3999, I would certainly buy it. It is an entry level commercial mower.

I'm interested in the price you can get it for because I was able to get it at $3999 because I purchased it from the largest Toro dealer in the U.S.A. and he used his clout with Toro and bought two truckloads of 2016 ZX4800's so he could discount them at $1400 off the $5300 MSRP. I checked the tag on the mower and mine was manufactured in May 2016 so I know it's a current model. I wonder how your local dealer can sell 2016 models for even less.

gainestruk

Threads
Smoke is probably no big deal, be sure and run at wide open throttle that will break the rings in and also how it was designed for proper cooling.

Scott S

Threads
Smoke is probably no big deal, be sure and run at wide open throttle that will break the rings in and also how it was designed for proper cooling.

Thanks!!!:smile:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I'm no expert, however, I did end up buying the ZX4800 for $3999 and have no regrets. It is a beast for my 1 acre and should last for many years. It cuts evenly and is a solid machine. I have cut my lawn three times and have 2.5 hours on it. My only concern is that it smokes for about 30 seconds (blue smoke) when first started if it hasn't been started in over a day. It can't be beat for that price. If you can get it for less than $3999, I would certainly buy it. It is an entry level commercial mower.

I'm interested in the price you can get it for because I was able to get it at $3999 because I purchased it from the largest Toro dealer in the U.S.A. and he used his clout with Toro and bought two truckloads of 2016 ZX4800's so he could discount them at $1400 off the $5300 MSRP. I checked the tag on the mower and mine was manufactured in May 2016 so I know it's a current model. I wonder how your local dealer can sell 2016 models for even less.

Scott- Congrats on your new machine :thumbsup: I won't get a chance for a real close up inspection till later this week on this ZX4800, it may be a 2015. Or maybe it's because I bought & buy all my equipment from them ? Either way I'll post up about it. You do realize the ZX4800 is a Close out model sale special. No more ZX4800 models.

Thanks for the feedback on yours.

As to your smoke, I agree with only 2.5 hours on yours, the engine is far from being broke in. I'd recommend on checking the oil before each use.

Scott S

Threads
Scott- Congrats on your new machine :thumbsup: I won't get a chance for a real close up inspection till later this week on this ZX4800, it may be a 2015. Or maybe it's because I bought & buy all my equipment from them ? Either way I'll post up about it. You do realize the ZX4800 is a Close out model sale special. No more ZX4800 models.

Thanks for the feedback on yours.

As to your smoke, I agree with only 2.5 hours on yours, the engine is far from being broke in. I'd recommend on checking the oil before each use.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was aware of the close out on the ZX4800. I will be sure and check the oil before each use. Looking forward to hearing the update after you check it out this week.