Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine

Scott S

Threads
  • / Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine
I'd say you made the right choice. Built like a tank too, enjoy that baby. I don't know much about Gravelys. But the professional mower guys around here are on Toro Z-Masters. And my neighbor has one & also works at our local dealer, so I have mowed on his, but that one weighs I believe 1,100 lbs. Where mine is 500 lbs, & yours is only like 740 lbs.

The 89 Octane is helpful for your Kohler Confidant, since it runs over 9:1 compression ratio, & 100% gas is best anyhow. 4.4 hours, maybe you will get your early oil change yet this year.. On my Kawasaki it specs for 1st oil change at 8 hours, I always change the filter as well. Filters are cheap compared to engines.. I'm only at 63.6 hours since 8/21/14.

I don't think I'll actually hit the benchmark for the first oil change by December, but I'll change it nonetheless. I will also include a new oil filter. I'll sharpen the blades and clean it up and then store it for the winter.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine
I don't think I'll actually hit the benchmark for the first oil change by December, but I'll change it nonetheless. I will also include a new oil filter. I'll sharpen the blades and clean it up and then store it for the winter.

Scott- Sounds like a good plan. That will get the "break-in" oil out. And new filter is very good, since new engines do most of their initial scrubbing-in, in that time frame.

And after approx 50 hours yours will be fully broken-in.

Yours doesn't seem to be revving too high, does it ? Local Dealer tells me that a ZX5400 blew an engine, (which they replaced, of course) believed to me from max rev set a bit too high. Just passing it on.

Scott S

Threads
Scott- Sounds like a good plan. That will get the "break-in" oil out. And new filter is very good, since new engines do most of their initial scrubbing-in, in that time frame.

And after approx 50 hours yours will be fully broken-in.

Yours doesn't seem to be revving too high, does it ? Local Dealer tells me that a ZX5400 blew an engine, (which they replaced, of course) believed to me from max rev set a bit too high. Just passing it on.

Thank you for the info. I haven't noticed any unusual issues with the engine. Going to use it a bit today to mow some fescue so I'll be sure and listen closely.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking this was a very isolated incident, but figured I'd let you know anyhow, since it has same engine.

Enjoy your machine.

bruno812

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Oklahoma dealer now has zx5400 (74862) for $4499. These are also 2016 closeout models. Looking around that also has to be a pretty good deal. I am not sure if they are going that fast but telling me i need to get it in the next day or two.

I would really love to have a Ferris but sure a lot of money for 1.5 acre. Anyone else got something better i need to check out?

Thanks,
Bruno

Lawn Addict
Threads
What size engine does the ZX5400 have ? That does sound like a smoking hot deal.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a really good deal. Jump on that.

bruno812

Forum Newbie
Threads
What size engine does the ZX5400 have ? That does sound like a smoking hot deal.

23 HP 747cc Kohler Commercial confidant with HD canister air cleaner. Extra 2% off for CASH.

Digging up some cans in the back yard now.

Lawn Addict
Threads
23 HP 747cc Kohler Commercial confidant with HD canister air cleaner. Extra 2% off for CASH.

Digging up some cans in the back yard now.

Cool, Dealer gets charged 2-3% for credit card deal. Cash gets the best deals. I can't remember where I buried mine at tho ? :thumbsup:

bruno812

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Oklahoma dealer now has ZX5400 (74862) for $4499. These are also 2016 closeout models. Looking around that also has to be a pretty good deal. I am not sure if they are going that fast but telling me i need to get it in the next day or two.

I picked up the ZX5400 Friday for $4400 2% off for Cash. I was wondering about installing a recycle kit. They seem fairly high $235. but that includes new set of mulch blades. Any comments on how well the mulch kits DO or DONT work?