Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine

Scott S

Threads
  • / Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine
Hi, I was in a a similar situation wondering what to get for my lawn. (I have just under an acre as well.) Earlier this spring, I wound up buying the Toro Titan MX4800 (like the ZX, but with wider tires and a suspension seat)

I used to use a push mower that took me hours to mow. I gave that up and had a contractor mow my lawn for a couple of years. But, I was never really happy with two things: 1) The timing of when it was mowed to coordinate watering and fertilizer treatments, and 2) the quality of the job. Now mowing it by myself this season, I have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood! I mow it when I want with hardly any effort and time. I find it a joy now! It is actually fun to do and I find it to be a major stress reliever from my hectic day job. It was worth the extra money for me.

Mine doesn't smoke at startup. I wonder if you are using too much choke? If it's hot outside, I found that the choke is not even needed. If it's cold, I just pull it up half way and then push it back down after a few seconds of starting. Also, I put the throttle at half way when turning the ignition.

I haven't paid close attention to gas usage, but the rule of thumb that I've been using seems to be holding true where I get at least 5 hours per tank.

I hope you enjoy your Toro as well!

I appreciate your reply. I will try adjusting the choke and throttle when I start it up. I have noticed it is smoking less when I start it now and sometimes not at all. I really like my Toro. It gives a nice, even cut and is solid. It flies on full throttle and cuts the cutting time down to under an hour. I'm not sure I can get 5 hours on a tank of gas, but then again I haven't tried. Currently, I have a lot of leaves falling so it's a bit tough to just see what it will look like in the spring and summer seasons, but, as of now, I really love this thing. The only suggestion I would have for Toro is to make the hose for draining the oil a bit longer to make the process a little easier.

Take care.

optical_man

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know what you mean about the oil hose. I thought the same thing, but upon changing the oil, I found it not as bad as I expected. I managed to find a perfect container to catch the oil without having to hold it. That way I could use both hands to loosen the plug and direct the initial surge into the container without needing 3 hands.

Another nugget of information to achieve a clean cut every time is to sharpen your blades often. I sharpen them every 6 hours. I suppose every 8 hours would do if the conditions aren't very dry. I bought a spare set so that each swap-out is quick. I'm using stock blades which seem good enough for me. I've read about some 3rd party blades out there that claim better performance, but I don't have any 1st hand experience to know if it would be better or worse for my mower. I do know that in order for the bearings to last a long time is that the blades need to be balanced properly. The old nail on the wall just isn't accurate enough. Probably overkill, but I splurged for one of the more expensive balancing units - the Magna-Matic MAG-1000. Video: MAG-1000 VS. the Nail

Scott S

Threads
I know what you mean about the oil hose. I thought the same thing, but upon changing the oil, I found it not as bad as I expected. I managed to find a perfect container to catch the oil without having to hold it. That way I could use both hands to loosen the plug and direct the initial surge into the container without needing 3 hands.

Another nugget of information to achieve a clean cut every time is to sharpen your blades often. I sharpen them every 6 hours. I suppose every 8 hours would do if the conditions aren't very dry. I bought a spare set so that each swap-out is quick. I'm using stock blades which seem good enough for me. I've read about some 3rd party blades out there that claim better performance, but I don't have any 1st hand experience to know if it would be better or worse for my mower. I do know that in order for the bearings to last a long time is that the blades need to be balanced properly. The old nail on the wall just isn't accurate enough. Probably overkill, but I splurged for one of the more expensive balancing units - the Magna-Matic MAG-1000. Video: MAG-1000 VS. the Nail

I agree with keeping the blades sharp for an even cut. However, doing it myself is a bit above my skill set when it comes to properly balancing and sharpening. I looked at the video link and to balance them you need the balancer and a grinder (lots of money for both pieces of Magna-matic equipment). It may not be as cost effective in the long run, but I may be better off (stress wise) to just take them to be sharpened and balanced and replacing them occasionally with new ones.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congrats to both of you. ZX & The MX are very solid machines.

In my case, Seems I don't think I can bear to let my Kawasaki engine Timecutter 4260 go. It only takes me 28-35 minutes mowing anyhow. I got interested in upgrading just because of the reduced price.

Scott-
the more you use yours the more the rings will seat etc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with keeping the blades sharp for an even cut. However, doing it myself is a bit above my skill set when it comes to properly balancing and sharpening. I looked at the video link and to balance them you need the balancer and a grinder (lots of money for both pieces of Magna-matic equipment). It may not be as cost effective in the long run, but I may be better off (stress wise) to just take them to be sharpened and balanced and replacing them occasionally with new ones.

Oregon make a plastic one, about $ 5.00.
Most places used a nail hammered into the wall dead square.
Good enough for the average home owner who mows a few hours a week.
The easiest way to sharpen is with a flap disk on an angle grinder, about $ 15.00 and if you are poverty struck a garbage Chinese grinder from HF or Wally's is about the same price.
Provided you do not run it for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Two or more sets of blades, one on the mower & the others sharpened & balanced ready to go on.
Dead easy to do and a lot faster in the long run because as sure as poo is brown the one day you have to mow the grass, you will hit a brick & bend a blade, with just not enough time to get to the shop to get a new one but enough time to pass the cop 10 m/hr over the speed limit.

Scott S

Threads
Oregon make a plastic one, about $ 5.00.
Most places used a nail hammered into the wall dead square.
Good enough for the average home owner who mows a few hours a week.
The easiest way to sharpen is with a flap disk on an angle grinder, about $ 15.00 and if you are poverty struck a garbage Chinese grinder from HF or Wally's is about the same price.
Provided you do not run it for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Two or more sets of blades, one on the mower & the others sharpened & balanced ready to go on.
Dead easy to do and a lot faster in the long run because as sure as poo is brown the one day you have to mow the grass, you will hit a brick & bend a blade, with just not enough time to get to the shop to get a new one but enough time to pass the cop 10 m/hr over the speed limit.

Thank you for that info. I think I'll give it a try.:smile:

Scott S

Threads
Congrats to both of you. ZX & The MX are very solid machines.

In my case, Seems I don't think I can bear to let my Kawasaki engine Timecutter 4260 go. It only takes me 28-35 minutes mowing anyhow. I got interested in upgrading just because of the reduced price.

Scott-
the more you use yours the more the rings will seat etc.

Well, if you're happy that's the name of the game and besides you can't go wrong because you've still got a good mower with the 4260 and nearly $4000.00 more in the bank.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, if you're happy that's the name of the game and besides you can't go wrong because you've still got a good mower with the 4260 and nearly $4000.00 more in the bank.

Thank You, Yes I am. I was losing sleep about this deal :confused2:. Least I test drove one. Actually I would have only been out about $2,200. with mine in trade. And if I never saw the ZX reduced price, it would have never entered my mind.
Mine is now put up for winter (due to the drought as well), I prepped it yesterday, serviced, & cleaned it up thoroughly, & it has a good coat of wax over it, I always wipe that off in the spring. :thumbsup: That's also when I put back on my sharpened & balanced blades.

PS: I use only 100% gas here, I avoid the ethanol blend stuff.

Scott S

Threads
Thank You, Yes I am. I was losing sleep about this deal :confused2:. Least I test drove one. Actually I would have only been out about $2,200. with mine in trade. And if I never saw the ZX reduced price, it would have never entered my mind.
Mine is now put up for winter (due to the drought as well), I prepped it yesterday, serviced, & cleaned it up thoroughly, & it has a good coat of wax over it, I always wipe that off in the spring. :thumbsup: That's also when I put back on my sharpened & balanced blades.

PS: I use only 100% gas here, I avoid the ethanol blend stuff.

I was really torn between the Gravely ZTX46 and the ZX4800. The Gravely was about $600.00 less, but, in the end, I went with the Toro because it was in an entirely different league due to it's commercial build and the $1400.00 discount. I really like it and have no regrets. I still have a few more mowing days left this season which will end just before Christmas and then I will service it for next Spring (oil change, blades, etc..). I only use 100% 89 octane gas (per the dealer's recommendation). I currently have 4.4 hours on it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was really torn between the Gravely ZTX46 and the ZX4800. The Gravely was about $600.00 less, but, in the end, I went with the Toro because it was in an entirely different league due to it's commercial build and the $1400.00 discount. I really like it and have no regrets. I still have a few more mowing days left this season which will end just before Christmas and then I will service it for next Spring (oil change, blades, etc..). I only use 100% 89 octane gas (per the dealer's recommendation). I currently have 4.4 hours on it.

I'd say you made the right choice. Built like a tank too, enjoy that baby. I don't know much about Gravelys. But the professional mower guys around here are on Toro Z-Masters. And my neighbor has one & also works at our local dealer, so I have mowed on his, but that one weighs I believe 1,100 lbs. Where mine is 500 lbs, & yours is only like 740 lbs.

The 89 Octane is helpful for your Kohler Confidant, since it runs over 9:1 compression ratio, & 100% gas is best anyhow. 4.4 hours, maybe you will get your early oil change yet this year.. On my Kawasaki it specs for 1st oil change at 8 hours, I always change the filter as well. Filters are cheap compared to engines.. I'm only at 63.6 hours since 8/21/14.