Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine

Lawn Addict
Threads
I grew up always checking the oil on any equipment, before each use. Dad taught me that, or he'd kick my butt as a kid growing up.

Will let you know, once I get a good inspection done & we talk serious numbers.

Last edited:

Brucebotti

Threads
I grew up always checking the oil on any equipment, before each use. Dad taught me that, or he'd kick my butt as a kid growing up.

Will let you know, once I get a good inspection done & we talk serious numbers.

LOL, we must be related. My Dad was the same way. At least if we commit any serious crimes we can claim "mitigating circumstances" because we were "abused" at a young age...:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bruce- I knew there had to be more taught as I was. :laughing: It was a lesson I have never forgot. Which looking back about 1/2 a century, I'm glad he taught me right. :thumbsup:

Scott- After the 3 mows, how does it seem to be on using gas ? Course it will improve as you get it broke-in, but just curious, my current Toro TimeCutter has a Kawasaki.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, definitely 2016 model(s). They still have 8 of them left from their truck load, 6 still in shipping boxes. I test ran one today. I like it.

Cash price is $3799. (to me). But I'm negotiating to work my Timecutter into the deal. We are about $300. apart as of today.

I know the Owner & he would like to get mine to replace his personal much older base model TimeCutter, cause mine has all the bells & whistles + Kaw engine, totally documented, & still has a year of warranty left with only about 60 hours on the meter.

Scott S

Threads
Bruce- I knew there had to be more taught as I was. :laughing: It was a lesson I have never forgot. Which looking back about 1/2 a century, I'm glad he taught me right. :thumbsup:

Scott- After the 3 mows, how does it seem to be on using gas ? Course it will improve as you get it broke-in, but just curious, my current Toro TimeCutter has a Kawasaki.

I was able to cut my lawn 4 times (3.8 hours on the meter) and still had a little left. Not a lot, but enough where it didn't run out of gas.

Scott

Scott S

Threads
OK, definitely 2016 model(s). They still have 8 of them left from their truck load, 6 still in shipping boxes. I test ran one today. I like it.

Cash price is $3799. (to me). But I'm negotiating to work my Timecutter into the deal. We are about $300. apart as of today.

I know the Owner & he would like to get mine to replace his personal much older base model TimeCutter, cause mine has all the bells & whistles + Kaw engine, totally documented, & still has a year of warranty left with only about 60 hours on the meter.

That's a great price. $200 less than what I paid.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for info on your usage. Sounds good. Soon you will be ready for the early oil change, it's 10 hours on my Kaw.

The price point is moot, since I will only do the deal with mine in trade. I've been studying the engine

The Confidant is a fairly new Engine from Kohler, announced on Oct 21, 2013 to be ready for 2014 & going, latest versions have EFI.

Kohler Engines introduces its Confidant engine series. This vertical-shaft, V-twin engine line was carefully designed to meet the unique needs of both commercial equipment users and property owners.

• Encompasses four models ranging from 19 to 25 hp
  • Recoil and electric start options are available,
  • Can be easily customized by OEMs for a variety of applications, including wide-area walk-behind and stand-on mowers, ZTRs, and high-end garden tractors
  • Includes cast-iron cylinder liner to protect the engine in extreme operating conditions, dual-seal air filter to keep debris out of the engine; and high-torque inertia drive started with extra-large output for quick, reliable starting
  • Pressure lubrication keeps critical parts protected
  • Features Kohler’s PRO Performance Filtration package, a heavy-duty professional filtration bundle that includes a 3,500 cm[SUP]2[/SUP] air filter, a 6.5 gram oil filter, and a 9-12 micron fuel filter
  • Includes Quiet Cam technology which consists of a rounded cam lobe and solid nylon gear that work together to help reduce sound levels
  • Optional cyclonic air filter is a heavy-duty filter that provides multiple stages of filtration for engine protection
  • Cyclonic filter screens air at the intake port, then enters a cleaning chamber where it is circulated in a rapid, cyclonic motion to remove larger contaminants
  • Specialty filter, which can be used in combination with a pre-cleaner, then removes any remaining contaminants to ensure only clean air enters the engine
  • High-impact nylon shroud and valve cover protect internal components when mowing around bushes and branches, and chopper grass screen guard prevents grass and debris build-up

Scott S

Threads
Thanks for all of the info on the Kohler.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ur welcome Scott.

optical_man

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Titan ZX4800 w/Kohler Confidant 21 hp Engine
I have just under an acre of mostly level grass to cut.

Hi, I was in a a similar situation wondering what to get for my lawn. (I have just under an acre as well.) Earlier this spring, I wound up buying the Toro Titan MX4800 (like the ZX, but with wider tires and a suspension seat)

I used to use a push mower that took me hours to mow. I gave that up and had a contractor mow my lawn for a couple of years. But, I was never really happy with two things: 1) The timing of when it was mowed to coordinate watering and fertilizer treatments, and 2) the quality of the job. Now mowing it by myself this season, I have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood! I mow it when I want with hardly any effort and time. I find it a joy now! It is actually fun to do and I find it to be a major stress reliever from my hectic day job. It was worth the extra money for me.

Mine doesn't smoke at startup. I wonder if you are using too much choke? If it's hot outside, I found that the choke is not even needed. If it's cold, I just pull it up half way and then push it back down after a few seconds of starting. Also, I put the throttle at half way when turning the ignition.

I haven't paid close attention to gas usage, but the rule of thumb that I've been using seems to be holding true where I get at least 5 hours per tank.

I hope you enjoy your Toro as well!