fb460v

sahughe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a 1986 jd165 with a fb460v. guy before attempted to rebuild carb, when I got it the air cleaner base was broken so I got a new one. got it reassembled and engine surges and no matter where I turn the mixture screw its makes no difference. so I took carb off and apart and it appears the main nozzle has been butchered. by this I mean clamped with something and sanded with heavy grit paper and not to mention the screwdriver slot is no longer there and was luck to get it out. from my auto experience I did a no no, I filed the top of it flat and made new slots and reinstalled. it runs but still surges. so my question is new or used carb? new main 13a main nozzle which appears to be non available, or should I be looking for something else? not sure what all he has messed with, any help would be greatly appreciated!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
New or used is up to you. How much time to clean verses how much money you want to spend.

sahughe

Forum Newbie
Threads

thanks for links, however I cant seem to find a kit that has the 13a nozzle, do you know of any? what I do find interesting is that I cant choke the motor out when turning in the mixture screw. I'm not sure that the damaged nozzle is causing this so I'm going to take it back apart and relook things over and try again. always fun to get into something that try another has tried to fix and gave up on. then I'm going to adjust the governor as I see it fresh wrench marks on it. if ya have any good advice I'm open to ideas.

sahughe

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for links, however I cant seem to find a kit that has the 13a nozzle, do you know of any? what I do find interesting is that I cant choke the motor out when turning in the mixture screw. I'm not sure that the damaged nozzle is causing this so I'm going to take it back apart and relook things over and try again. always fun to get into something that try another has tried to fix and gave up on. then I'm going to adjust the governor as I see it fresh wrench marks on it. if ya have any good advice I'm open to ideas.

I got it, been a gm mechanic for over 30yrs, been a while since I dealt with a carb. I win this time, I overlooked something. sucks to get old and I don't do mowers all the time. I greatly appreciate the info! she runs like a Deere again!!!!!

John R

Threads
I got it, been a gm mechanic for over 30yrs, been a while since I dealt with a carb. I win this time, I overlooked something. sucks to get old and I don't do mowers all the time. I greatly appreciate the info! she runs like a Deere again!!!!!

What did ya overlook?

sahughe

Forum Newbie
Threads
What did ya overlook?

well the carb was went thru by another person, I was concentrated on the main nozzle that was messed up. just figured that was the problem. then when I woke up at 3am this morning and was going over all things when I should have been sleeping, it came to me. I never checked or recleaned the mixture circuit. so I went thru that today and Yahtzee!!! I guess never assume a shop does everything. just glad it runs good, now when I engage the pto the motor dies. my god, what is next!

John R

Threads
well the carb was went thru by another person, I was concentrated on the main nozzle that was messed up. just figured that was the problem. then when I woke up at 3am this morning and was going over all things when I should have been sleeping, it came to me. I never checked or recleaned the mixture circuit. so I went thru that today and Yahtzee!!! I guess never assume a shop does everything. just glad it runs good, now when I engage the pto the motor dies. my god, what is next!

Must be still running on the lean side.

sahughe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Must be still running on the lean side.

it kills instantly, and when I back off switch it blowing black smoke. I have looked it all over and don't see anything wrong. pto clutch?