Honda GX 640 **HELP**

sgtx80

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda GX 640 motor that came out of a Honda 4518 riding mower. I am trying to use this motor to power my sawmill, b/c my old Wisconsin motor went out on me. The motor runs, but I am trying to bring this motor back to a "bare bones" engine versus all of the wiring/safety switches. I took it to a small engine shop & they couldn't really help me. They really made more of a mess of the wiring than anything. I have very little small engine knowledge when it comes to the electrical & wiring involved, especially with the over engineered wiring of the GX 640. I will be running a belt off of the flywheel to run the sawmill. I just need the motor to crank & run, nothing fancy at all.

What electrical components & wiring can I delete from this motor & still have it run efficiently ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just need the motor to crank & run, nothing fancy at all.

What electrical components & wiring can I delete from this motor & still have it run efficiently ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The H4518 has numerous safety / interlock devices to prevent injury. There are switches on the PTO lever, the shift lever, the operator seat, and the parking brake. These must all be in a specific state or the combination relay won't all the engine to start. For example, if the PTO lever is ON, the engine won't start. If the engine is running, and the operator lifts up off the seat without setting the parking brake, the engine will stop. The engine won't start if the shift lever is not in NEUTRAL, etc., etc., etc. There's also a fuel cut solenoid on the carb that is controlled by another 'black box'; it remains normally open, so fuel flows, but when you shut off the engine, it closes and fuels stops flowing. A few seconds later, it opens back up on its own so the engine can be restarted. This is designed to prevent backfiring, not to actually shut down the engine, FYI.

There are a bunch of vintage Honda tractor fans on another forum who might be able to help out. Try visiting here and ask what is possible:

[url]http://www.mytractorforum.com/150-honda/[/URL]