extremely short belt life

meamjw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 20 HP Craftsman mower with 48" deck and bought a new primary belt 174368 at the beginning of mowing season. I think it was only four times I mowed about a half acre lawn before the belt broke. As best I recall it was a Husqvarna Kevlar I ordered from Amazon. After that I searched for reviews and found many other people had only got a few hours of service from such belts.
I first thought maybe it was because of the Kevlar, but research on that says Kevlar is used in racing tires, so surely that would put many times more stress on the Kevlar fibers than a mower belt would.
Now my question; does anyone know where Husqvarna belts are made? If they are made in China I would say that explains why they aren't worth a crap.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 20 HP Craftsman mower with 48" deck and bought a new primary belt 174368 at the beginning of mowing season. I think it was only four times I mowed about a half acre lawn before the belt broke. As best I recall it was a Husqvarna Kevlar I ordered from Amazon. After that I searched for reviews and found many other people had only got a few hours of service from such belts.
I first thought maybe it was because of the Kevlar, but research on that says Kevlar is used in racing tires, so surely that would put many times more stress on the Kevlar fibers than a mower belt would.
Now my question; does anyone know where Husqvarna belts are made? If they are made in China I would say that explains why they aren't worth a crap.

I don't know this for sure but chances are you got a cheep knock off from China. I have over 300 hours on my deck belt. Now the other possibility is you have something wrong on your Pulleys and idlers. You should check the idlers for any noise or play. Check the spindles for free turning without the belt attached. Check inside the v groves for anything stuck inside. Yes it happens. I had a cattail get caught in one of mine. Broke the belt really fast.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Genuine Husqvarna belts are made is either the USA or Mexico depending upon which belt.
Bought on Amazon there is a 50:50 chance the one you bought was fake particularly if it was very cheap.

Now belts don't break for no reason so exactly what were you doing when it broke ?
Do you still have the belt ?
what do the broken ends look like ?
what were you mowing ?
Around this time of the year you get a lot of branches and old seed pods which can rip a good belt apart in no time flat.