Engine New Solenoid...

sillyboy

Threads
I just received a new solenoid (#146154) for my 1999 Craftsman rider mower.

Does it matter which battery cable (6 ga.), starter cable (6 ga.), goes on the studs? I installed the new solenoid in the same orientation as the old one, with the white wire on the blade towards the front of the mower and the black wire on the blade towards the back of the mower.

The mower started right up and I shut it off. I came back a half hour later, started the mower and (don't know at this point) it sounded like the starter was still engaged. I tried to turn off the engine with the key, and that did nothing, but make me worry about the engine. The engine finally stopped (key was off), and it then backfired as it came to a complete stop.

Does any of this make sense?

I cut the grass and engine ran fine. I shut it off a few times during grass cutting and it always started up as it should.

Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks

SB

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The solenoid is not polarity sensative it is just an electric switch.
Two reasons why your engine did not stop.
1) something glowing red hot inside the cylinder providing ignition source
2) cut out wire to solenoid not grounding out properly due to a bad ground connection to the ignition switch or bad switch.

sillyboy

Threads
The solenoid is not polarity sensative it is just an electric switch.
Two reasons why your engine did not stop.
1) something glowing red hot inside the cylinder providing ignition source
2) cut out wire to solenoid not grounding out properly due to a bad ground connection to the ignition switch or bad switch.

I believe it is #2... A bad ignition switch. I will replace it and remove any doubt in my mind, as all grounded connections (that I could find) are tight.

Thank You for your time.

SB

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I believe it is #2... A bad ignition switch. I will replace it and remove any doubt in my mind, as all grounded connections (that I could find) are tight.

Thank You for your time.

SB

On many switches the ground wire is a single wire. not part of the plug.
Usually it is a short wire bolted to the side of the turret and often broken just at the terminal so sometimes it works & sometimes it don't work

sillyboy

Threads
On many switches the ground wire is a single wire. not part of the plug.
Usually it is a short wire bolted to the side of the turret and often broken just at the terminal so sometimes it works & sometimes it don't work

Thank You but...what is a turret? :confused2: That word does not show up in the owners manual.

Thanks

sb

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a tank it is the bit the cannon is hooked up to
On your mower it is the 3 sided bit that the controls are bolted to.