New to this forum

Hunter1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to this...Have a Grasshopper 618 with a 48" deck (3 blades) that leaves strips . It had a Kolher motor (18hp) on it had to replace it with a Briggs (same hp as the Kolher) Any ideas what it could be? Deck is clean, blades are new, tried two different types of blades(they came from Grasshopper dealer).

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler has more torque but what I would look at is the rpm's. 3600 is what speed it should be running.

BWH

Threads
Does it leave strips of grass going straight forward or is it when you turn?

Also if I remember my old 48" Grasshopper deck the center blade is shorter than the two outside blades, do you have the new blades in the right order?

One other possibility is the deck belts and pulleys in good condition (not slipping) ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check the attack angle.
the blade spin in a circle and these circles overlap, when almost flat to cut the full width of the grass.
If the back or front of the deck is too low the cutting circles will leave a triangular gap between them.
A bit hard to explain but if you hold 2 coins at eye level, one slightly ahead of the other they will make a strait line which is the shape of the cut, blades level.
Now roll then forward and they form an upside down V and that is the shape of the cut you get if the front or back have too much angle on them.
The right amount is from 1/8" to 1/2" depending upon the deck.