Buying Advice Kawasaki or Briggs?

dana a

Threads
I would choose Briggs also on the assumption that if you ever needed to get parts they would be easier to find.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I personally like the Kawasaki engines. We are running three one with over 1000 hours on it and one with around 800 and they have been excellent so far. We keep the oil changed and air filters clean but other than that we have run the tar out of them under many times brutal conditions.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Ferris would have a Kawasaki FS 600V or a Briggs Commercial engine. If the Briggs has the Cyclonic Air Filtration System then I would go with it. I have a 30 HP Commercial Turf engine on my Scag Tiger Cub as a repower and I am very pleased with the air filtering ability of this system. As ZTRs are dusty by their nature of design, a substantial air filtering system is critical to engine life. My Scag has a collection system installed which creates much more dust than normal and air filtration is critical to promoting normal engine life.
The Cyclonic Air Filtration System is identified by the bulging air filter housing that houses the round air filter.

Buckethead

Threads
Years ago I bought a John Deere tractor with a 25hp briggs and after first year it started smoking. I traded up to a JD LT190 with a 18hp Kaw engine. It didn't pull down like the Briggs and ran flawless for ten years even with the lower hp rating. I just purchased a Ferris 600 and ask for the Kaw engine 18.5 hp . I have been told by small engine repair guy that the best Briggs engine ever made is the Vangaurd. Sometimes a little higher hp doesn't mean better.