Simplicity Pacer 1534 -- no forward or reverse

plaidford

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to this forum, but have read through the Simplicity forum and it looks like there's a lot of good information here.

I have a Simplicity Pacer 1534 (Package 2690121, MFG 1694494, Serial 01128) with a B&S Intek 15hp motor. My wife was using it last Saturday when, all of a sudden, it lost it's drive, both forward and reverse. She had already mowed the front yard and 1/3 of the back yard. She said it seemed to be going fine up to that point and didn't notice any noise, or indication that something had happened, it just quit moving. She was mowing around a playground slide, so probably moving forward and reverse to get under the slide and back out.

The mower starts and runs fine. The blade engages fine. It just won't move forward or reverse.

We had a guy mow our yard and he took a quick look at it and said the tranny is blown. He said we need a new PTO clutch and transmission for about $650 in parts alone.

We don't know this guy well at all. He suggested we might be better off buying a new mower instead of repairing this one. I bought it used and have had it for about 5 years and it's been a great mower. I just use it for my own, rather large (just under 1 acre), residential lawn.

I'm not super technical, but can usually troubleshoot items and repair small stuff myself if I can find a reference with good details.

Does this automatically sound like the tranny is blown, or could it be other things? Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks for any help!

plaidford

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark. I tried getting the cover off today, but one of the screw heads is stripped out, so I need work on getting that off tomorrow. I was able to feel the belt and it seems to be in place on the pulleys and has tension on it. I'll be able to get a better view when I get the cover off tomorrow.