oil dripping from fuel pump weephole

jlee4363

Threads
fuel pump was leaking oil from weephole,replaced with new pump and it's leaking too,can anyone tell me why this is happening?i've changed oil filter,pulled pump apart diaphragm was good & cleaned pcv port to carbany ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
check air filter for replacement & remove breather from air filter to valve cover & clean thoroughly with mild liquid soap & hot water, dry & reinstall.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Head gasket is blown.
Breather is blocked
Rings worn out
crack in piston

As the Queen said to Alice "Off With Your Head"

jlee4363

Threads
thanks,i will check filter & clean then after that i will look into possible head gasket,i recently started working at a farm supply as mechanic & this had me baffled,great forum,thanks again

jlee4363

Threads
i checked and cleaned intake it was all ok,so i did a compression test on the briggs & stratton 540cc serial code 081229ZD05040 engine the compression pressure was 100psi and the plug is sooty black.so i'm thinking the issue is gonna be in the head as the gentleman mentioned.does my diagnosis tell u anything specific this could be?thanks alot

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quick & dirty test is to run the engine for 5 minutes or so mow some grass even then shut it off
Remove the dip stick after the engine has stopped.
If you get smoke signals coming from the dip stick tube gasket / rings have gone.
Gaskets are quite weak and this is done to protect the conrod during a hydraulic lock.
Better to blow a gasket than bend a rod.

jlee4363

Threads
thanks bert i will remember that next time,i pulled the head changed the gasket & before i tried it compression tested & it went from knockin 100psi before head removal to almost 125psi,took it for a spin & no leak so yea the head gasket was the issue,thanks for the input everyone

maphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had same issue with intermittent smoke out of exhaust. It was also the head gasket.