Bolt/Nut failure after only 13 hours on Raptor 42

erikm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bolt/Nut failure after only 13 hours on Raptor 42
Just thought I'd give a heads up here. I recently purchased a Raptor 42 (Kohler version). It has only 13 hours of use. Noticed that my grass was getting scalped on one side. Stopped and noticed that the nut (part# 016899) had vibrated itself off and was gone dropping the right side of the deck onto the grass. Of course, along with the nut, the spacer bushing (part# 601839) was also gone.:mad:

I just can't understand how they can engineer something like that. I owned a cheap Craftsman tractor for 19 years and nothing like that ever happened. The Craftsman tractor's suspension points were all secured with wire clips (5 to be exact). The Raptor has no way to prevent that nut from vibrating off over time. They really need to revisit that design! I might drill a small hole through the end of the bolt and install my own wire clip.

Unfortunately I didn't notice until I had scalped 3 big brown rows in my front yard!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a quiet word to your dealer about warranty replacement of the missing bits.
If he had done he predelivery properly they would not have fallen out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not surprised. It's been a long time since I have seen a mower with so many problems.

Call the dealer

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I worked on a toro Z turn a couple of weeks ago that has the possibility of disconnecting the rear deck hangars from the deck if you hit a solid object with the front corners of the deck. the deck hangars are a U shaped piece that fits over a rod, without a way to retain their position on the rod. By lifting the rear of the deck at the same time that you push back you can disconnect them.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I worked on a toro Z turn a couple of weeks ago that has the possibility of disconnecting the rear deck hangars from the deck if you hit a solid object with the front corners of the deck. the deck hangars are a U shaped piece that fits over a rod, without a way to retain their position on the rod. By lifting the rear of the deck at the same time that you push back you can disconnect them.

That's how my Toro's are. I welded a piece on to the hangers. But still lets me remove the deck easily.

kraky

Threads
Gotta get my labor day poke in....Come on Cars.....you can't be making little "mini mods" to your toro's and telling us how perfect they are.... and we're not allowed to cut a triangle out of the corner of our discharge or put on high lift blades on our Raptor Sd's.....come on...gotta level the playing field a bit! Lol

BoylermanCT

Threads
Gotta get my labor day poke in....Come on Cars.....you can't be making little "mini mods" to your toro's and telling us how perfect they are.... and we're not allowed to cut a triangle out of the corner of our discharge or put on high lift blades on our Raptor Sd's.....come on...gotta level the playing field a bit! Lol

I was thinking the same thing! I've read on this site that modifying a mower was ridiculous and why would you ever own a mower that needed to be modified!

Glad to here even Toro's can use some yankee ingenuity every now and then!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

I did my tiny tiny little mod. Not as a necessity but because I hit a lot of stumps and things.
Changing blades is a preference not a mod. I will be going back to the gator blades in a couple weeks. But won't tell my dealer as its voids the warranty on the bearings.

You have to admit they dropped the ball on the SD. Just as toro dropped the ball on the new timecutter for next year.
After talking with my wife for days we are going to buy 4 new mowers this month. All different brands. After 2 months around 500 hours we will pick the best. And sell the other 3

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh and it was a 1000 hour repair not a mod. LOL
the new Toro's have the same issues with the deck. But the piece is bolted on. And they changed the spindle shaft size.

kraky

Threads
So what mowers are you picking? Should be fun monitoring your experiment. Betting Deere and raptor SD are not in your final four?