Need help W/ Briggs and Straton 3.5 HP model 92502 Govenor

MowerTedII

Threads
  • / Need help W/ Briggs and Straton 3.5 HP model 92502 Govenor
Hi ALL!
I have an older lawnmower that was given too me. It runs...sort of. Whenever you get too thicker grass it just bogs down, sometimes dies. I suspect the govenor needs help. It's a Briggs and Stratton model 92502, type 3165-01 , Date 90072352. It's 3.5 HP . Is it difficult to repair the govenor?
Many thanks, Ted

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
may be getting low on power and not a governor problem. low compression will cause low power, valves leaking, head gasket leaking, rings worn may be possible causes.

TylerFrankel

Threads
Hi ALL!
I have an older lawnmower that was given too me. It runs...sort of. Whenever you get too thicker grass it just bogs down, sometimes dies. I suspect the governor needs help. It's a Briggs and Stratton model 92502, type 3165-01 , Date 90072352. It's 3.5 HP . Is it difficult to repair the governor?
Many thanks, Ted

I'm an amateur with these things but as far as I know, the governor just makes sure the engine RPMs stay consistent, so if it runs normally until introduced to grass then it's unlikely to be a governor issue. I have an older Briggs Mower with a 3.5HP, pretty sure its 92502 or similar model, and it had the same thing going on. It started and ran fine, but thick grass killed it. Turned out the head gasket was SHOT.

If you haven't yet, open up the engine block head to expose the piston and valves, and check out the head gasket. If it looks like it has holes, or if it splits in half as mine did, then it's time to replace that. They can be had for dirt cheap online, I got mine on eBay. It could also be the valves not sealing correctly, or the piston rings could be bad. I'd check the head gasket first because that's cheapest and easiest to replace.

Edit: As cpurvis said the governor can be seen in action if you look at it during operation. By the way, if the springs look worn or not tight, remove some links carefully to tighten it, this can improve max RPM and governor function. Don't over do it though or the engine will rev higher than ideal. If its a carb issue look up how to properly set the carb and clean it out if you can, but if that doesn't solve it check compression leaks like I said above.

Also, take off the shroud on top (held on by some 7/16 screws) and look at the auto-choke thing (little flap that blows back when engine speed increases). It should be linked to the throttle area, I believe this is essentially the governor system and if the springs look worn or the flap is obstructed or something, try resolving that and see if it works better.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
By opening the throttle, the governor takes care of the additional air flow needed to make more power; the carburetor adds the additional fuel to go with the air.

If you can, look at the throttle shaft when the load is applied and see if it is being advanced to the wide-open position. If it is, then the governor is not the problem.

It could be that the carburetor is not flowing enough fuel to handle the load, which can be something as simple as adjusting it.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Ya know this is an 8 year old thread??

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ya know this is an 8 year old thread??

You don't expect us to actually read all of this chit?

We just give good advice baby......

(Account Closed)

Threads
You don't expect us to actually read all of this chit?

We just give good advice baby......

Heck, that machine been's recycled into another engine / toaster, etc. by now!