1 Acre - Need to put a good plan together

Elusiv

Threads
Hey,
We live on an acre and the lawn is in pretty bad shape. Its green but mostly because of weeds. I recently purchased a broadcast spreader so I can seed & fertilize.

I definitely know there is some Bermuda grass, crab grass, dandelions, ground ivy and poison ivy. There is also some sort of clover going on as well in places.

I have like 100 lbs of weed & feed that hits crabgrass & dandelions (among other things). There is also a product you hook to your hose that is supposed to be good at killing broadleaf stuff like the ground ivy.

Grass seed...I am thinking Kentucky 51 fescue.

My initial though would be this:
1) Spray broadleaf killer on the ground ivy early September (germinates in September/October) regionally
2) First weekend in October once the leaves are up, seed the lawn.
3) Early spring, weed & feed mix
4) The poison ivy i'm going to start killing with a salt water & vinegar mix I read about online.

If you have any thoughts or think I've got my schedule wrong, let me know please.

Thanks,

David

Pumper54

Threads
You might want to check with the county extension agent to see what they recommend for your area. Also you might check with the university ag department to see if they have a schedule to follow.
Tom

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not know where you are at.
But here in GA I would spray the whole yard with roundup poison ivy killer. Now.
Then at the end of September aerate and seed with fescue.
Fescue likes cold so we seed in the fall to let it build its roots over the winter.

Elusiv

Threads
Thanks for the tips. I was able to find an Agriculture Extension through the County office and it had some decent information available. The poison ivy is isolated around trees so I will spot treat that.

I will seed late September.