Flooding this year

deck~dragger

Threads
Texas, then the West Virginia century flood and Louisiana again, along with several other states, tens of thousands of homes flooded or destroyed, lost businesses, dozens of deaths.
Understood that some members have lost property or other and do not have internet access . For those that have internet or smartphone, how was your part of the country effected by this?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Extreme drought this summer in north GA., rained yesterday & today, thanks be to GOD!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Had flooding here this spring. And the wettest August on record in east Texas around the 3states area .

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess on this date and time, Aug. 29, 2017 approx. 7:00 A.M. (Eastern) we are witness to the most devastating flooding of our time, that is STILL on-going in the Texas-Gulf Coast region, Prayers and help desperatley needed.

Pumper54

Threads
Wet Spring, hot and dry Summer and then Harvey showed up. So far we have recorded over 21 inches of rain at my house in the past few days. NOTHING like what parts of the Greater Houston area has seen. Geography plays a big role in how bad the flooding is here, case in point is that I live about 100 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico and the foundation of my house has an elevation of 221 About Sea Level (ASL), Lake Conroe's normal pool level is 201 ASL and the top of the dam is a few feet above that. Water that flows from the lake here travels down to Lake Houston and then on to the Gulf. With the slope of the land here it takes a while for the water to travel all that way and with the 2-3 FEET of rain that has fallen on Houston there is a bunch of water that needed to move along and it just can't do it fast enough. I heard/saw the weather people saying that 600 BILLION gallons of water has fallen on the Texas coast because of the storm and that folks is a bunch of water.
We are Texas and we will pull through, we will rebuild and I think that there will be a bunch of mowers that will need work. ;-)

Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wet Spring, hot and dry Summer and then Harvey showed up. So far we have recorded over 21 inches of rain at my house in the past few days. NOTHING like what parts of the Greater Houston area has seen. Geography plays a big role in how bad the flooding is here, case in point is that I live about 100 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico and the foundation of my house has an elevation of 221 About Sea Level (ASL), Lake Conroe's normal pool level is 201 ASL and the top of the dam is a few feet above that. Water that flows from the lake here travels down to Lake Houston and then on to the Gulf. With the slope of the land here it takes a while for the water to travel all that way and with the 2-3 FEET of rain that has fallen on Houston there is a bunch of water that needed to move along and it just can't do it fast enough. I heard/saw the weather people saying that 600 BILLION gallons of water has fallen on the Texas coast because of the storm and that folks is a bunch of water.
We are Texas and we will pull through, we will rebuild and I think that there will be a bunch of mowers that will need work. ;-)

Tom

Thanks for your up-dates Tom, KEEP POSTING, !! The news is forecasting that a few reservoirs are in immediate danger of over-spilling, the situation is heart-breaking, so much water and devastation, unfortunately it continues, rescue efforts are at full speed to help those in need, and more help is coming in. STAY SAFE !! NO foolish decisions, PLEASE !!!!

Mike88se

Threads
Flooded in and stressed out for a few days here in Houston. A little water in the garage but none noticed in the house so far. The high water mark was a little over the bottom of the siding/brick so the floor plates are bound to be wet. We came out a lot better than some here. I'm sure everybody saw the rest of it

Pumper54

Threads
Houston will recover, not a city to give up and roll over. The reservoirs in question were never designed to hold back the amount of water in them. They are 'U' shaped retention areas that flood a bit when we get heavy rains here and then the water drains away. The amount of water flowing into them filled them and then starts draining out around the ends. From what I heard on the news the Army Corp of Engineers said do a controlled release or risk a total failure of the dams. The release will flood a few hundred homes or a failure will flood thousands. Talk about a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. No pun intended there. Prayers and good vibes going out to everyone involved and a great big THANK YOU to everyone that came with boats and high vehicles to help with rescue and recovery operations.
Staying high and dry on our hill north of the city.
Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Flooded in and stressed out for a few days here in Houston. A little water in the garage but none noticed in the house so far. The high water mark was a little over the bottom of the siding/brick so the floor plates are bound to be wet. We came out a lot better than some here. I'm sure everybody saw the rest of it

Glad you seem to be holding your own there Mike, All those folks that lost EVERYTHING, I just can't get an idea of ,IF they can even think of starting over, coming out of a shelter, no home to go to, where's my next meal for my FAMILY, no home, maybe no job, WHAT,WHERE,WHEN,HOW ??? ...... STAY SAFE !!