Washing paper filter in kerosene?

Pumper54

Threads
Have you had a chance to mow with the filter on yet? Any issues that you could identify? Looks great there BTW, kinda "Hot rod-ish "

Tom

turbofiat124

Threads
Not yet. I did crank it up and the mower runs fine. I have to mulch some leaves tomorrow. So I'll check to see how much dust the new filter catches.

turbofiat124

Threads
Not yet. I did crank it up and the mower runs fine. I have to mulch some leaves tomorrow. So I'll check to see how much dust the new filter catches.

I mulched some leaves the other day and the new filter seems to be catching allot of junk. So I'd recommend this filter!

turbofiat124

Threads
I wished I had taken some photos but yesterday of my new foam filter. I mowed my yard for the first time in 2 months due to the drought so you can imagine the dust I stirred up. Mainly to mulch leaves and knock down some weeds. This time i had enough sense to wear a dust mask thank God.

Afterwards, the new foam air filter looked almost as bad as the one on a Snapper I once owned:

dirtyfilter.jpg

So it's catching quite the dust. Otherwise if this had been a paper filter, I would have had to replace it.

I gave it a dunk in my parts washer filled with kerosene and the dust fell right off. I had used K&N filter oil to oil the filter.

I've wondered if K&N filter oil is actually automatic transmission fluid thinned down because it's red. Maybe a poor assumption. I mixed up a jar of kerosene and automatic transmission fluid at a 50/50 ratio and gave the filter a dunk and let it drain off. This seemed to work quite well. I guess just about any kind of oil would work.

I thought about making my own filter for my backup 18.5 B&S Troy Bilt. That filer is flat. The company "UNI" that made the one on my 21HP Intek sells sheets:

http://www.unifilter.com/accessories/

But Hobby Lobby sells foam rubber sheets as well for a lot less.

652289_1[5].jpg

I'm into restoring 8 track tapes and vintage audio and have made my own pressure pads out of this stuff.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/vintage audio?sort=2&page=1

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The current recommendation is to not oil the foam wrap that is on the cartridge type filters, because people have a tendency to over oil the foam, and then it gets absorbed into the paper and results is clogging. They are better off installed dry. the foam only type filters still need to be oiled to work properly.

turbofiat124

Threads
The current recommendation is to not oil the foam wrap that is on the cartridge type filters, because people have a tendency to over oil the foam, and then it gets absorbed into the paper and results is clogging. They are better off installed dry. the foam only type filters still need to be oiled to work properly.

I have and have not oiled the foam wrap that goes over the paper filter but have noticed that dust still get's past it and penetrates the paper element.

That's why I wanted something entirely made of foam like before manufacturers started using paper elements. I guess to sell more parts. Swapping out a paper filter I guess is quicker, more convenient and not as messy as washing the foam element in kerosene or soapy water then soaking it in oil and squeezing the excess out. But nowhere near as messy as changing the oil and filter.

But at $17 a pop considering when mulching leaves, drought conditions or dead spots these clog up fairly quickly and I'd rather spend $17 on a case of Red Bulls than a new paper filter times 5 every mowing season.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wrap is only there to collect the big bits, coarse dust & mowing debris.
The paper actually does the filtering.
A double wrap would probably do you fine and forget about the cover.
Rule of thumb is a filter is too dirty to use once you see discolouration on the inside.
I never oil a wrap.
On a foam only filter, like a sprint engine I dip my gloved finger in engine oil when wipe it over the top side ( engine side ) of the filter like honey on toast.
Gravity will pull it down about 1/2 the filter depth and that is all you need.
Could not count how many sprint engines I have serviced , running really rich with great dags of damp dust hanging off the air entry holes while the top of the filter looks like new

sidemouse

Threads
That's the problem with leaves, a lot of dust.
A K&N filter, a pre-cleaner, all these are good tips but I can't see getting away from the dust.

What is the part number on the filter you are using?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Way back at the beginning I seem to have recommended fitting a snorkel tube over the filter.
A Donaldson extreme dust filter would work really well being it is what demolition equipment is generally fitted with.
But for this purpose, a trig down to the 4WD wreckers ( breakers to some ) and a few $ for a snorkel tube off any 4WD would have done the job with the existing filter.
It is just a matter of breathing in where the air is cleaner.

sidemouse

Threads
I get the dust, we're not talking minor sediment stir...

I have a leaf vac and what it does is suck up the leaves, shred them and blows them into a bag... The dust, which is really particles of leaves and dirt, comes out through the bags fabric and when it does it's EVERYWHERE, because with an 8hp engine it blows a TON of air. There's no getting away from it unless you plan on running some 'snorkel' all the way into another part of the yard like to the other side of the house or a good 10 or 20 feet away from the machine or straight up in the air because the cloud of dust engulfs the whole machine. We're not wearing dust masks because the air is clean a few feet above ground, even with the mask I have to be careful breathing because in great quantities that amount of dust can actually kill you... The entire machine and my body is covered in filth after about an hour or two of using that thing, and I mean caked, the stuff literally falls off, it's thick and it will turn washing machine and shower water BLACK it's so bad.
That kind of dust, sandstorm quality dust, it will choke a brand new air filter in an hour if it takes that long.

Best I can recommend is start looking for a washable filter such as a K&N
Or... Look for a filter in bulk quantities, they might be cheaper that way.
Another solution would be start using Pre-cleaners, those I do wash, once dirty I throw them in the washing machine, then let air dry.

What I've done before but you have to be careful, is spray it off 'gently' with compressed air.
You have to be careful and I won't guarantee that it won't tear the fabric, problem is we can't always see minor rips and tears but I blow at it sideways and just try to get the bulk dirt off, also gently tapping and banging the filter against a hard surface can help get some of the worst off... But I wouldn't wash it, not a paper filter.