Washing paper filter in kerosene?

Pumper54

Threads
turbofiat124

What bert was talking about when he said a snorkle is just to raise the air intake a few feet higher then it is, it might still be in the dust cloud but it will be higher then most of the dust. I have about the same issue as you when it comes to mowing the field at my farm, unless it rained in the past few days it is very dusty and I clean the engine and air filter several times during the day of mowing. On my "Brush cutter from Hell" I used flexible electrical conduit to raise the air filter about 2 1/2 feet above the normal location and it stays much cleaner then in the stock location. I will be moving the air filter box on the rider as soon as I can figure it out
Tom
Side view snorkle.jpgFilter close up.jpg

turbofiat124

Threads
Found this which might work. I'll have to check to see if the 2 7/16" snout will fit my carburetor on my 21 HP Briggs. I may build me a snorkel while I'm at it.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Briggs-Ra...Racing-Clone-Engine-Air-Cleaner-/201031920202

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Below is what I meant by snorkels
Tecumseh.jpg
This is how we got most tecumsemh down here
Sprint.jpg
Slight variation for a B &S sprint engine
Standard.jpg
Standard fitment on Victas ( US government would not allow you to buy one ) .
Filter is in the top of the tube and throttle cable runs down the inside so never gets snagged or damaged by bashing into shrubs.
Commercial.jpg
And a thicker snorkel tube but it still uses the same filter.
These filter elements never get clogged as they are sucking clean air from near the top of the handle.

Honda offered a snorkel which replaced the square air filter cover on the 120's and because it was the same dimension as the Quantum series it could be fitted to Briggs engines as well.

turbofiat124

Threads
Thanks for the photos. It looks like I could easily adapt one of those corrugated hoses from a vacuum cleaner!

The push mower is not a big deal. I only use it for mowing areas I cannot get my riding mower in and this hill behind my house with a 30 to 45 degree incline.

On my riding mower, I would at least like to get the filter outside the engine compartment so I could keep a check on it. I guess I could remove the shield so every time I check the oil and add gas it would be easier to inspect but removing the shield may add to the problem.

Like I said, as long as there is no drought going on or leaves to mulch, the filter doesn't clog up. Like right now, it hasn't rained in over 2 weeks, yet the yard needs mowing from where we got about 6" of rain over a course of 3 days prior to that.

So I'm sure I'll kick up quite a dust bowel come next week!

turbofiat124

Threads
Got an idea.

We have these sort of filters where I work that are used to filter the incoming air from the outside to the plant. The material appears to be made of fiberglass and it's oiled.

Same material used in my parts washer.

6B791_AS01.207123339_std.jpg

What if I made a "sock" to go over the paper filter instead of using the foam filter that wraps around the paper element? You would think the foam pre-filter would catch most of the dust but it does not.

I've actually made pre-filters for K&N conical filters on cars by wrapping that black porous filter media around the the filter taught, then applying some black RTV to the ends, sticking it in a bench vice overnight to cure then trimming off what had squeezed out, then turn it inside out and wrap it over the filter.

Here is one I made for my Yugo turbo:

newfilter.jpg

Works great on cars but not sure if it would catch most of the crap on a lawnmower in a dust bowel.

Would using the white fiberglass instead of foam be too restrictive? I guess if the mower runs the same it would be OK? Can't be anymore restrictive than a solid foam filter.

That way I can make two and wash one out in kerosene and swap them out every other time I mow or get's really dirty?

Pumper54

Threads
The biggest issue with a restrictive filter would be the engine running richer which might not be too bad as the engines are air cooled and it might run a tad cooler. Anything to keep dust and dirt out of the engine.

Does your Yugo engine produce enough HP to run the turbo? Just had to ask. ;-)

Tom

turbofiat124

Threads
The biggest issue with a restrictive filter would be the engine running richer which might not be too bad as the engines are air cooled and it might run a tad cooler. Anything to keep dust and dirt out of the engine.

Does your Yugo engine produce enough HP to run the turbo? Just had to ask. ;-)

Tom

I have not dynoed the Yugo but based on the math, the 1500 Fiat engine makes 75 BHP over the 1100 engine which makes 55 BHP. These are the same engines, only larger pistons and a longer stroke. Yugo never used the 1500cc engine, they stopped at the 1300cc engine. If you can imagine, going from a 1100 to a 1500 is like swapping a 305 for a 350 on a Chevy.

Then 7 lbs of boost equals 50% more power. So I'm estimating around 110 BHP. The turbo I used was a T25 from a 2.1 liter Saab 9000. It is not sized for a 1500 engine but seems to work great. It spools up much faster than the T3 I have on my Fiat Spider which came from a Volvo 240 of the same engine size.

Yes the car really moves! Torque steer is horrendous though! Since going to a 2.25" exhaust system, If I shift to 2nd gear and stomp it, it makes full boost and will spin the tire. If the car had limited slip, wider tires, it would transfer more power to the wheels. These cars were not meant to be hopped up. I've had to strengthen the chassis the handle to power. Homemade strut tower brace with a fourth engine mount, suspension braces, Addco rear swaybar.

The increase of power puts quite a strain on the steering and suspension being front wheel drive. Right now the car needs new wheel bearings and tie rods. I have not lost interest in the car but have been caught up with my Trabant and my new Citroen 2CV!

I think the wheel bearings were my fault because I pressed them in wrong.

Here is the evolution of the car:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Yugo?sort=6&page=1

Concerning air cleaners for my B&S engine.

I found a few that might work. The flange ID on the B&S filter is 1.5".

Here is one here for a Honda Ruckus:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191871067620?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Here is another one with a 1.5" ID that appears to be solid foam. I'm considering going with this one. I think it might offer the best filtration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-UNI-Sin...46658b1&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=191871067620

Here is a K&N filter with a 1.5" ID only more expensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110931353973?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And a K&N "clone" but the ID is 1.25". I might be able to stretch it over the carburetor snout or hogg it out a bit with a dremel tool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302051833595?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm going to mow the yard today and see if any of these filters conflict with the engine. And to see if the snout of the carburetor would accept a clamp on filter. I may be able to remove the piece that the filters slides onto a bolts to the engine and angle the filter away from the engine.

Whenever I come up with something, I'll post some pics.

Pumper54

Threads
I bet you can have some fun with your Yugo, I bet it is one fine street sleeper as who really thinks that a Yugo has any power?

Tom

turbofiat124

Threads
I bet you can have some fun with your Yugo, I bet it is one fine street sleeper as who really thinks that a Yugo has any power?

Tom

Yeah but since they are now building cars with 400+ HP, I've sort of given up on sleepers. My latest cars (Trabant 601 and Citroen 2CV) have less than 30HP!

I mowed the yard yesterday. After three weeks of no significant rainfall, I created quite a dust bowel.

I inspected the filter before I mowed but did not take any before photos but this filter has I think 6 hours on it. I can't remember if this is the one I washed in kerosene or not. I know it was not advised but I blew it out with compressed air.

I decided to order that oiled/washable foam air cleaner off Ebay for $17.

IMG_20160910_155535874_zpsljyufaxu.jpg

IMG_20160910_155539399_zps3jdlh07e.jpg