Engine serial help

balooo32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
would it be possible for someone on this forum to tell me something about this engine?It is an GCV 190 engine form an HRX 217 mower.I bought this as an replacement engine for my mower but it's not working ok.Becuase i would like to ply around i planned to open the engine and maybe replace the piston rings or other stuff needed.
Thank you very much!
Engine serial.png

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First that is not a Honda tag.
Get us pictures of the engine not just the tag.

balooo32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you very much for your answer! This are 2 pictures from that engine:
Gcv 190 top.pngGcv 190 front.png

Hope this pictires are helping to indentify the engine.
Regards bernd

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,
would it be possible for someone on this forum to tell me something about this engine?It is an GCV 190 engine form an HRX 217 mower.I bought this as an replacement engine for my mower but it's not working ok.Becuase i would like to ply around i planned to open the engine and maybe replace the piston rings or other stuff needed.
Thank you very much!
View attachment 29670

That engine is from an older HRX217TDA (gear transmission) mower. The TDA was made in the very first HRX (version K0) and the first update version (K1). If you have the serial number off the mower deck (it is in the format "MAGA-1234567") I could tell you exactly.

Anyway, for parts ordering, you can search by engine serial number alone, which this one is GJAAA-1394859.

Before you tear into it, might want to double-check the easy stuff...dirty carb, old fuel, spark plug, valve clearance, etc. Compression check, leak-down test would also help determine the internal health of the engine before you start major repairs. Of course, keep in mind, by the time you start major parts replacement and time for your labor, a brand new engine will soon be about the same $$$.

What mower chassis/deck are you trying to fit this engine to? Another HRX or ???

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That engine is from an older HRX217TDA (gear transmission) mower. The TDA was made in the very first HRX (version K0) and the first update version (K1). If you have the serial number off the mower deck (it is in the format "MAGA-1234567") I could tell you exactly.

Anyway, for parts ordering, you can search by engine serial number alone, which this one is GJAAA-1394859.

Before you tear into it, might want to double-check the easy stuff...dirty carb, old fuel, spark plug, valve clearance, etc. Compression check, leak-down test would also help determine the internal health of the engine before you start major repairs. Of course, keep in mind, by the time you start major parts replacement and time for your labor, a brand new engine will soon be about the same $$$.

What mower chassis/deck are you trying to fit this engine to? Another HRX or ???

I stand corrected.:smile:

balooo32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello and thank you for your replies.
The primary focus on buyinf this engine was to play around with it , if can could use it as a replacement engine for my mower a hrx217 hxa would be nice, but i just want to open the engine see the internals and learn something about it.
I tried to find replacement parts using the serial number and found this:
Piston rings 13010-Z0Y-004
Carburetor 16100-Z0Y-811
Are this replacment parts right ? Watching the parst diagramm i saw the TDA mowers didn't have a rotostop and this engine had a HRX style blade clutch mounted.
Is there any list or excel sheet with wich honda engines can be installed on wich mowers ?

Thank you for all your help

best regards Bernd

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Piston rings 13010-Z0Y-004
Carburetor 16100-Z0Y-811
Are this replacment parts right ? Watching the parst diagramm i saw the TDA mowers didn't have a rotostop and this engine had a HRX style blade clutch mounted.
Is there any list or excel sheet with wich honda engines can be installed on wich mowers ?

The carb p/n is correct for early production HRX mowers, up to K2 version. FYI, these mower were fitted with a manual choke, operated by the throttle cable on the handlebar.
The piston ring p/n is correct for first (K0) production HRX mowers.

No list that matches engines to mowers, because EPA/CARB rules require only emission-certified engines that meet or exceed legal levels can be fitted.

If your engine has a Roto-Stop blade clutch, you'd need to be sure the new mower chassis has the correct controls, cables, etc. on the handlebars. What is the serial number of your mower?

balooo32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert thank you again for your help!

The engine is of an HRX style mower with Rotostop, i can not see the whole maga number the year is 2007 and the number 1329..
I will oder the carburetor and rings and see what happens. I could start the engine and it was running pretty ok compression around 65 somehow low but it is runnig :).
Just out of interest what's the price of a new HRX217HXA , or HRX217HYA Honda engine?
By looking at the Rotostop from this engine another question arised, could anybody tell me what the service limit of this part 75150-VE1-R00 is?

Thank you a lot!
Regards Bernd!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert thank you again for your help!

The engine is of an HRX style mower with Rotostop, i can not see the whole maga number the year is 2007 and the number 1329..
I will oder the carburetor and rings and see what happens. I could start the engine and it was running pretty ok compression around 65 somehow low but it is runnig :).
Just out of interest what's the price of a new HRX217HXA , or HRX217HYA Honda engine?
By looking at the Rotostop from this engine another question arised, could anybody tell me what the service limit of this part 75150-VE1-R00 is?

Thank you a lot!
Regards Bernd!

A brand-new replacement HRX engine has a list price of about $314-~$417, depending on the version/serial number. What digits can you read off the "MAGA-???????" sticker? If you can supply at least the first 3-5 or so, I might be able to match the right engine.

29631687795_a7f0f86d33_o.png

Engines listed in green = available, yellow = limited...when they are gone, they are all gone.
Shop around if you go this route. While many dealers stick to list price for replacement engines, others will give some discount. Unless they are a very large engine dealer or distributor, they will likely have to order

You can buy a replacement engine from any Honda engine dealer/distributor; here's a link to find one near you:

Find a Honda Engine Dealer

This ought to help with the driven disk:

29521082402_c944ec48fa_o.png