Buying Advice Enduro XT2 LX46 vs. John Deere S240

Scott S

Threads
Hi....

I am considering purchasing one of these two mowers for mowing just under an acre of mostly flat residential turf which contains sections of Bermuda and fescue grass. There are some groups of trees on the property, but they should be able to easily be navigated with a lawn tractor. I have decided against getting a ZTR for this particular property. I am about to take over caring for my lawn mainly because I'm tired of the expense of having somebody else do it and I also now have the time since I just recently retired.

I have narrowed it down to two choices which I think will be adequate for weekly mowing during the season which runs about 8 months here:

1. Cub Cadet Enduro XT2 LX46 ($1999)
2. John Deere S240 ($2299)

Until about three weeks ago, I was completely sold on the recently redesigned John Deere S240 and was totally unfamiliar with Cub Cadet. This will be my first riding mower and I've always been partial to JD mainly because I like the way they look and they just seem to be a part of Americana.

However, after doing a lot of research, I thought it would be worth my time to consider Cub Cadet. I went to the local Cub Cadet dealer and drove the XT2 and that same day went to the JD dealer and drove the S240. I might add that it is almost impossible for a "newbie" to find any mower that doesn't have an equal number of positive and negative reviews. Regardless of the make or model, some swear by it and some swear at it.

So, that being said, I thought I would post similar messages on both the Cub Cadet and John Deere forums so I could get some additional information that will help me make a decision.

The Cub Cadet has a 46" deck with twin blades and anti-scalp wheels, is beefier and seems a bit more solid than the JD. I like where the fuel filler is located as the JD fuel filler is under the seat which makes it tough to fill if a bagger is attached and it is certainly a bit easier to remove the oil filter as the JD has a piece of plastic which gets in the way of getting a good grip on the filter. The CC also has a 3 year unlimited warranty vs. the JD which has a 3 year/200 hour warranty. However, in my situation, it is really a 3 year warranty as well because I won't exceed 200 hours in 3 years. I am aware that the S240 is based on a D series chassis.

The JD has a Kawasaki FS600V 18.5 hp engine which many people say is a superior engine (dependability, smoothness and quietness) as compared to the CC's 24 HP Kohler 7000 Series OHV engine with Smart-Choke. Some say it also helps the resale value as, for whatever reason, Kawasaki seems to have a better reputation with the general public. I'm not sure if that's true, but I've heard that from two different brand dealers who each sell tractors that come with Kohler, Kawasaki and Briggs and Stratton motors. In fairness, I also had one dealer tell me that all engine manufacturers go through periods where their products have both excellent and terrible years with the general public. Apparently, Kawasaki is enjoying a good period at this time. For a newbie like myself, it seems as if we're trying to find out which ice cream is better: vanilla or chocolate? There are millions of arguments for and against each one.

Both tractors have the Tuff Torq K-46 hydrostatic transmission.

The JD has a 42" deck with twin blades and anti-scalp wheels. The CC has armrests whereas the JD does not. Both have a great steering radius and turn easily although I might give the CC the edge in this area. The JD has a 2.4 gallon fuel tank vs. the CC having a 3 gallon tank. The JD has the floater type gauge on the frame whereas the CC doesn't have one at all but you can easily see the tank level through a slit.

I do not like the RIO switch on the JD. I think the CC is superior in both this area and the choke area.

The closest CC dealer is 23 miles away and I do not have access to a truck or trailer which means I'd have to pay the dealer to pickup and deliver the tractor for any maintenance issues. He will charge me $50 delivery and any future pickup/delivery will be $100 round trip. The JD dealer is 7 miles away and he will deliver it free and future pickup/delivery round trip costs will be $50.

So, reliability is even more important in my situation because not only will I have the hassle of not having the mower for up to 4 weeks at a time should it be in the shop during mowing season, but I'll also have the additional transportation expenses.

I have also read several posts where CC customer service is poor regarding warranty issues as everything seems to be ruled out due either normal wear and tear or user abuse e.g. hitting a tree root or using the mower for unintended purposes such as too large a property or rough terrain.

Between these two machines, I want the mower that will be the most reliable and will give the best cut. The JD is usually $2499, but there is a special offer of $200 off at this time. I also don't understand why there is a $500 premium with the CC to get the Kawasaki engine. If the dealer has a unit in stock with the Kawasaki, the price is $2499. The surcharge alone seems to indicate that the Kawasaki is a better engine, but then again this dealer said his mechanics have seen more issues with the Kawasaki engines vs. the Kohler. It should be noted that I spoke directly with the CC dealership owner for nearly 90 mins. regarding the CC.

I'm aware this is being posted on the CC forum, but any impartial advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott

r4e001628-S240-642x462.png13YQA1CT010_product_detail_large.png

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You really don't need to post in both forums. Most of us cruse all the forums.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is really nothing in it.
At that price the real difference will be the colour.
Of the two the JD mower parts will be the cheapest but the kawakasi engine parts will be the most expensive.
The 7000 series Kohler engine has a random casting problem so if you go for the Cub, keep a close eye on the engine temperature.

Both have easy fit decks, the JD being a bit easier to do than the cub.
The JD has better blades that will last for longer but mowing 1 acre they should outlast you.

If you go for the JD keep an eye on the deck.
They are robot welded and some suffer from bad penetrations so crack along the edge of the welds.
Again I doubt if your hours will be long enough to make this happen.

The JD will have better parts back up than the Cub.

I would be more inclined to research the dealers and buy from the one with the best reputation for customer service.

Scott S

Threads
Of the two the JD mower parts will be the cheapest but the kawakasi engine parts will be the most expensive.
The 7000 series Kohler engine has a random casting problem so if you go for the Cub, keep a close eye on the engine temperature.

The JD has better blades that will last for longer but mowing 1 acre they should outlast you.

They are robot welded and some suffer from bad penetrations so crack along the edge of the welds.

I would be more inclined to research the dealers and buy from the one with the best reputation for customer service.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

mrfred54

Threads
After working on lawnmowers for over 40 years,they both have their positives and negatives. have seen a lot of the Kawasaki engines with crankshaft oil seal leaks and some with hydro problems with the green machine. cubs have had a few belt problems with the decks but the drive shaft machines are pretty solid tractors. far as parts I have never had trouble getting parts for cub as someone said, my dealer usually has the parts in stock. both are good mowers but I am kind of a cub guy after working on all models for the last 40 years. you should get many years out of either one

Scott S

Threads
After working on lawnmowers for over 40 years,they both have their positives and negatives. have seen a lot of the Kawasaki engines with crankshaft oil seal leaks and some with hydro problems with the green machine. cubs have had a few belt problems with the decks but the drive shaft machines are pretty solid tractors. far as parts I have never had trouble getting parts for cub as someone said, my dealer usually has the parts in stock. both are good mowers but I am kind of a cub guy after working on all models for the last 40 years. you should get many years out of either one

Thank you.

Scott S

Threads
You might want to try and send your reply again. I cannot decipher it.

deck~dragger

Threads

I don't mean to hijack the thread but easy to tell when your vehicle is overheating. Bert, what to look for on an air cooled engine?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't mean to hijack the thread but easy to tell when your vehicle is overheating. Bert, what to look for on an air cooled engine?

Well you are hijacking this thread.

Start a new one in the engine maintenance section.
I would have imagined it has been covered before but it is the sort of thing that needs to come up periodically as no one ever seems to search the archives any more,