Honda serial number information...

apwillard1986

Threads
I have noticed that some folks are able to decode the serial number on older Honda equipment and give a general history as well as update the registration. I wonder if someone would be good enough to do that for me or explain how to go about it. I work at a Chevrolet dealer and I know we can do it for customers but I am at a loss how to go about it on my mower... I called a local dealer but they acted as if they didn't understand what I was asking. Perhaps I was unclear...

image_zpsxavhm6jt.jpg

image_zpsqphlqkcs.jpg

image_zpsypldbgua.jpeg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Send robert@honda a private message under members top of page, R's page 97, asking him to take a look at your post.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Send robert@honda a private message under members top of page, R's page 97, asking him to take a look at your post.

DITTO..... Roberts THEE Honda PRO !!! .....:thumbsup:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
That s/n is for an older Honda HRA215SX (21", 5hp, self-propelled, blade-clutch). The GXV140 engine was made in Japan, then shipped to the Honda plant in Swepsonville, NC, where the rest of the mower was built and final assembly. It was wholesaled by Honda to an unknown dealer (now out of business) on 3/16/1990, so it's likely the mower was built in 1989. It was sold to the first retail customer, Mr. William B, of Riverdale, Georgia, on 10/15/1990, and was registered for homeowner (non-commerical) use. There are no active service bulletins, product updates, or safety recalls for this unit.

Most parts are still available from Honda, although some stock is limited, and when they are gone, they're gone.

apwillard1986

Threads
Thank you Robert! I just sent you a PM as was suggested but you beat it to the punch.

That info jives with the story I was told when I bought it. Anyway to update the registration? Or is that unnecessary?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyway to update the registration? Or is that unnecessary?

Absolutely; just drop me another PM, and I'll get our warranty clerk to update the database. Just name and mailing address will do.

Honda asks for this in the highly unlikely event there's ever a product safety recall and needs to contact you.

kdaug

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an HRA215SXC which I bought used here in Canada many years ago. I just bought a newer used HRX217HXA and will be selling my HRA215 soon so I would like to know it's approximate build date. The serial number is MZAL 6025279 SXC. Can you help me out with this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no date code embedded in Honda numbers.
Honda keep records so they punch in your number & the details you saw earlier pop up.
A simple ( but really big ) database.
Honda serial numbers start at 0 then goes up till the model is changed thus there is little to tell this years from last year from next year which is fine if the product has not changed.

kdaug

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no date code embedded in Honda numbers.
Honda keep records so they punch in your number & the details you saw earlier pop up.
A simple ( but really big ) database.
Honda serial numbers start at 0 then goes up till the model is changed thus there is little to tell this years from last year from next year which is fine if the product has not changed.

Thanks for the info. I'll check in with my Honda dealer tomorrow and see what they can track down for me.