Starting Problem

Fathat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 24 hp twin cly with 135 hrs. I was cleaning/washing mower and now it won't start. I can take the starter loose and it spins fine when activated by the key. Install back where it will make contact with flywheel and it won't spin motor. I even took the plugs out and rotated motor by hand. Motor ran & started fine before cleaning mower. Still no luck. Help appreciated..!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jump the starter motor directly to the terminal on the starter ( +) and to the engine near to the starter.
Hook the + up first then make the ground contact as you will get a big spark.
If the starter spins the engine then one or more leads are not making proper contact or have broken.

Fathat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Jump the starter motor directly to the terminal on the starter ( +) and to the engine near to the starter.
If the starter spins the engine then one or more leads are not making proper contact or have broken.

Thanks so much. I'll give this a try tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. Again, THANKS..!

Fathat

Forum Newbie
Threads

Another ?. Why will the starter work fine when i loosen the bolts and pull it back so it doesn't engage the flywheel..? It worked every-time I hit the key.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no load on the starter spinning in free air so 1 tiny little strand of wire can supply enough power to spin it up.
Or it can get enough juice through a grubby connection.

However if you are telling me it spins the engine when you back off the bolts that is a different set of problems.

Fathat

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no load on the starter spinning in free air so 1 tiny little strand of wire can supply enough power to spin it up.
Or it can get enough juice through a grubby connection.

However if you are telling me it spins the engine when you back off the bolts that is a different set of problems.

**This is exactly right. I'll try to do your earlier suggestions today hopefully. Again , THANKS for the help..!!!

Fathat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok guys, I checked my connections, charged the battery and still have no answer. I can loosen the bolts on the starter and slide it back so when activated by the key switch, the starter kicks the bendix out and appears to spin fine. I tightened the bolts and it does the same thing, just out and won't spin the flywheel. Once.., it did spin the flywheel(motor) and I stopped it. I hit the key again and it spun the motor again. (This was with the plugs out)

So..., I'm thinking I'm good to go. I put the spark plugs back in and same results, won't spin motor.Hit the key, bendix kicks out, but starter won't spin the motor over. Is the starter just to weak to spin the motor, bad bendix, etc. I have noticed that the bendix drive doesn't won't to go back down all the way at times. So could the bendix be binding up...?

Very frustrating. Once again, help appreciated. Thanks Mike

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I may have missed it, but what engine are we working on. Is it possible that you got water in the starter. could of knocked some debris loose and is now causing a carbon arc short in the starter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No engine numbers given, as per usual.
24Hp so assuming it is a V twin.

Now as for the OP, engine numbers would be helpful as would what it is fitted to.
If the engine turns over OK without plugs and not with plugs the usual suspect is the decompressor.
However I am sure you said you can turn it over easily by hand which would rule this out, depending upon what level of gorilla strength you call easy.