Covered Metal Air Filter Adapted to a Briggs Intek

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those are not outdoor fans. They will not last long.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ken, Thanks, I will look at the site. Pumper too!(meanwhile I'm updating the Husqy thread if you are interested)

ken_clifton

Threads

Maybe, but the fan I mention is not your normal computer fan. It is an alumnium case fan, here is a photo (click to enlarge for more detail):

evercool_aluminum_120mm.jpg

Not sure if the link I provided in the earlier post is working (sorry), but you can google evercool aluminum fan and it should come up.

I am tempted to try one out. My use case would be a good test -- earlier this week I got caught out in a downpour about 1/8 mile from the barn. The SCAG got a real good washing, and I never do that... I always blow it clean with compressed air.

ken_clifton

Pumper54

Threads

If you find them for free then you only spend time rewiring the new one.
Tom

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you use the computer wiring harness then you wont have to rewire.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe, but the fan I mention is not your normal computer fan. It is an alumnium case fan, here is a photo (click to enlarge for more detail):

View attachment 29671

Not sure if the link I provided in the earlier post is working (sorry), but you can google evercool aluminum fan and it should come up.

I am tempted to try one out. My use case would be a good test -- earlier this week I got caught out in a downpour about 1/8 mile from the barn. The SCAG got a real good washing, and I never do that... I always blow it clean with compressed air.

ken_clifton

If you use the plastic ones they are much cheaper and you do not have to worry about dissimilar metal problem.

Pumper54

Threads
If you use the computer wiring harness then you wont have to rewire.

I just meant hooking up the new one. Minimum rewiring. Have a great weekend.
Tom

turbofiat124

Threads
Nice work on the air cleaner. Looks great! I've been looking into some way to build a better mousetrap myself. You might have read my post concerning air cleaners clogging up and wanting to come up with something besides replacing the filter @ $15 a pop several times a season. Even though I don't but really should.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/38991-Washing-paper-filter-in-kerosene

I must have missed something but what does the air cleaner have to do with the oil cooler and fans as mentioned in some replies?

If you are looking for a good quality fan, check out SPAL. If you can live with them being made in Italy. I guess anything is better than China.

https://www.spalusa.com/

I mounted one on my Fiat Spider and one on my Yugo. The original fan (especially on the Spider) was getting old, was smaller and pulled too much current. The SPAL fans are so quiet I can't hear them run. Of course on a lawnmower powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine, the engine would drown at any fan!

My Fiat 124 Spider:

fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg

My Yugo:

YugoSPALradiatorfan.jpg

YugoSPALradiatorfan2.jpg

YugoSPALradiatorfan1.jpg

Of course you could go to a junkyard and pull one off a Hyundai or KIA. I'm sure there are plenty of those in junkyards! Yes, that comment was made by a person who owns a Fiat Spider, a Yugo, a Trabant 601 and now a Citroen 2CV!

ken_clifton

Threads
Just an update on this modification. I was very interested in how the round automotive filter, the foam prefilter and the K&N filter wrap would handle all the dust -- and I do mow a lot of dusty areas!

The only way I know to really tell is to do an oil analysis. So, here is the proof of the air filter performance. Check out the silicon numbers. I wonder if the folks with the Donaldson canister air filters can get down to 9 on the silicon? Probably so, the Donaldson canisters are really good. The first 10 hours on this oil were with an AEM dryflow brute-force filter, the last 15 are the paper setup shown in this thread. With all paper filter hours I hope to see the silicon even lower on the next test. The sodium mentioned is likely from the Oil Extreme Concentrate EP additive that I use in all my equipment.

08-SCAG-oil-analysis.jpg

Last edited: