Covered Metal Air Filter Adapted to a Briggs Intek

ken_clifton

Threads
The metal covered air filter project for the Briggs Intek finally went on today.
kn_filter_wrap.jpg

I am sure a canister system is probably much better, but this project is designed to work with standard inexpensive automotive filters. Besides, it brings back fond memories of my Kohler round air filters :).

For the changes made to the Intek 44's intake system see this thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/38437-Off-With-the-Intek-Plastic

On top of the EC Carburetors 4040 air elbow I have an aluminum 2.5 round adapter made by Al at Performance V-twins (http://www.performancevtwins.com/)
I ran an AEM brute-force dry clamp-on filter for most of the summer, but I wanted the finer filtration and the inexpensive round automotive paper filters when possible.

EMPI makes a nice spun-aluminum covered air cleaner (EMPI 9001) intended for VW bugs with a 2 5/8 round outlet. The cover looks like it would do a good job of protecting the air filter from brush when mowing.
empi_9001.jpg

I used a standard 2.5 inch rubber coupler hose and two #44 line clamps to adapt the round adapter on the elbow to the EMPI air cleaner. The non-reinforced rubber coupler is flexible enough to stretch over the 2 5/8 outlet of the air cleaner and also fits the 2.5 inch adapter well.
adapting.jpg

The EMPI 9001 air cleaner comes with a cotton gauze filter element. My preference is a good automotive paper filter. I spent some time looking through air filter catalogs. The WIX 42055 is a nice fit, it is rated at much more flow than the Intek will need.
wix_42055_air_filter.jpg

A foam wrap is available, the WIX 24708. I put one on, but with the K&N filter wrap on the outside, I am not sure how much benefit is gained with the foam pre-cleaner.
wix_24708_foam_prefilter.jpg

Here is another photo of the whole assembly, the air cleaner does not block the air going into the blower at all -- it's edge is about 1/2 outside that area. Also, the back of the air cleaner is just inside the rear bumper on the SCAG - hopefully protected from bumps unless I back under something...
complete_showing_blower_intake.jpg

One final shot with the K&N 22-8001PK Air Filter Wrap to prolong the filter life. They really help keep the larger particles out of the filter.
kn_filter_wrap2.jpg

Maybe someone else can use this combination on another application.

ken_clifton

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thought is IAT's are going to go up. Maybe it wont be too much but I just see problems with all black metal.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ken, very clean. Hmmmm. I wonder if I could run a longer 2.5 coupler to put the AC above the rider hood (locomotive look). I know you probably told us, but the 260F is achieved without a fan?

ken_clifton

Threads
Ken, very clean. Hmmmm. I wonder if I could run a longer 2.5 coupler to put the AC above the rider hood (locomotive look). I know you probably told us, but the 260F is achieved without a fan?

Plenty of flow can happen through that 2.5 inch intake tubing. That would be an interesting locomotive look :).
The 260F oil temp is without any fans on the oil cooler. I go back and forth on whether to fit a couple of 120mm computer fans onto that Tru-Cool B7B cooler. They make some aluminium frame 120mm fans that look real good.

First thought is IAT's are going to go up. Maybe it wont be too much but I just see problems with all black metal.
BlazNT, my Kohler was dark green with about the same size heavy metal air cleaner. It ran fine for many years. So far I am really pleased with the performance of the Briggs Intek. The original black plastic air cleaner cover was flush with the engine. The EMPI air cleaner comes in bright spun aluminium, but that was a lot of glare trying to back up the ZTR.

We'll see how it goes.

ken_clifton

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my continued search for coolers and fans I see a lot of mainland China , import direct units. They are appealing in the ads, but I do not go direct. I also have found some stateside 12V , small fans suitable for pulling or pushing hot air from a cooler. Some have cfm specs. I even found a site where the Northern Hurricaine cooler/fan combo is separated and about half price (pretty sure,anyway). All the fans appear to be China sourced.

Pumper54

Threads
Ken,
Very nice set up there. I use a remote mounted airfilter on my "brush cutter from hell" based on the idea that bertsmobile gave me as to the way they set them up down under. I do a lot of mowing in dusty conditions and by getting the filter above the general dust level it stay cleaner a lot longer. I think that fabric outer wrap will keep the main filter a whole lot cleaner.
Tom

ken_clifton

Threads
Ken,
Very nice set up there. I use a remote mounted airfilter on my "brush cutter from hell" based on the idea that bertsmobile gave me as to the way they set them up down under. I do a lot of mowing in dusty conditions and by getting the filter above the general dust level it stay cleaner a lot longer. Tom

Thanks Tom. Getting the intake up higher out of all the dust is a good idea.

A lot of the Briggs air cleaners seem to have what I would call "pressurized dirt injection." They take some of the blower air and force it into the air cleaner. I suppose their idea is to create some swirl around the filter and cause the dust to drop out. But, often the blower is chopping grass clippings, seeds, etc. and ingesting dust, then forcing it right into the air cleaner, and of course the air filter has lower pressure inside of it. Sounds like a great idea -- what could possibly go wrong?

ken_clifton

Pumper54

Threads
Motoman,
Have you looked at cooling fans from old desk top computers? Pretty sure they are 12 volt and seem to move a bit of air. You could most likely find a few for free on trash day.
Tom

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pumper, Thanks, I used to scrounge stuff and still do. Did not know such fans ran at 12V. The Chinese fans stateside are down in the area of $25.