Raptor 42" popping wheelies

Nick_USMC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own right at 1 & 1/4 acres that I have to mow. I used to have an MTD Gold that started having mechanical issues and I had been wanting a zero turn mower so I got a Hustler Raptor 42" mower last week. My problem is that while mowing the front wheels like to come off the ground ALLOT. Not just on the small grade on one side of the house or the ditch, but even in the back yard if I hit any kind of uneven spot. I called the dealer I bought it from and the guy who answered the phone suggested less throttle. Now I can see going slower on the hills that makes sense but there is no reason I believe I should have to in the flat open back yard. Granted I live in a more rural area even though I am in the "city" and my yard never had turf laid.

My question is, Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing go punch the guy in the mouth. That told you less throttle. Always and I mean always run at full throttle. The engine and hydros need to run at full throttle.
You can slow down with just the lap bars.
Check tire pressure should be around 10psi.
Dealers like to put over 30psi

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
And remember that is a rigid frame. It is not made to flex. So you will have one front wheel come up if you are on uneven ground.

Nick_USMC

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing go punch the guy in the mouth. That told you less throttle.

That was my first thought also. The guy who told me that would get into my conversation every time I went into the dealer.

I was going to get a Scag Liberty when I went in and for some reason talked myself into the Hustler (Probably the $2,000 difference). I'm trying to see if they'll just take this one back and put the money towards the Liberty.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That was my first thought also. The guy who told me that would get into my conversation every time I went into the dealer. I was going to get a Scag Liberty when I went in and for some reason talked myself into the Hustler (Probably the $2,000 difference). I'm trying to see if they'll just take this one back and put the money towards the Liberty.

Hustler makes some very good mowers. But I am not a fan of the rapter.
The scag is well worth the extra $2000.

Keep us posted on what they say.

kraky

Threads
Buy something nice....you'll soon forget the price....always held true for me...lol!

mhavanti

Threads
If your Raptor is popping wheelies. Be tickled to death. That means your engine is getting the majority of its torque thru the hydraulics.

Now, when is it popping wheelies? Only on full throttle starts? While moving along and hitting a bump or mound with a short ramp? I'm have a hard time envisioning that rascal doing a wheelie. Not saying it doesn't or won't!

I'd much rather have a mower capable of carrying the front tires than not moving well from it's tracks.

Can you get someone to shoot a short video of it, along with sound, off the mark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All ZTR's are designed to be very light on the front , otherwise the narrow casters could not do their job and would leave furrows in the grass.
Cheap & easy trick is a bag of cement sitting on the foot plate or some other weights over the front.
A couple of lengths of 6" plastic pipe filled with gravel hanging off the front would look nicer .
They do make castiron weights that clip onto the front of a lot of ZTR's if you want to spend money.
Adjusting the lap bars so they will sit highrt will reduce the leverage as you move them, More bar for less valve opening.
You can also fit some heavier dampers to the lap bars to make you moove them slower.
Last solution is lighter base oil in the hydros ie go to 5w 50 in place of a 10 w 50

Nick_USMC

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your Raptor is popping wheelies. Be tickled to death. That means your engine is getting the majority of its torque thru the hydraulics.

Now, when is it popping wheelies? Only on full throttle starts? While moving along and hitting a bump or mound with a short ramp? I'm have a hard time envisioning that rascal doing a wheelie. Not saying it doesn't or won't!

I'd much rather have a mower capable of carrying the front tires than not moving well from it's tracks.

Can you get someone to shoot a short video of it, along with sound, off the mark?

I exaggerated slightly when I said popping wheelies. But the front wheels come off the ground allot. I don't have allot of experience with ZTR mowers aside from the Troy Mustang my wife's uncle loaned us while I got a replacement. The front wheels never came off the ground no matter what I was mowing. the only place one or both wheels don't come off the ground is in the drive way. I feel very uncomfortable driving it and my wife won't get on it again (she likes to help with the yard occasionally).

mhavanti

Threads
Nick,

First, let me apologize for not thanking you, Marine, for your service and to your wife for helping with the yard. I really wasn't making light of your situation and bert gave some excellent advice that you may want to give a shot.

Adding length to the sticks can really make it harder to pop a wheelie. This is done in many venues and especially in remote control to slow the movements of an airplane, car, boat or motorcycle. Keeps the newbies from crashing their new toys. It can be very helpful.

I would also suggest you take the mower out into the most open spot of the yard, just mess around, full throttle starts, stops, restarts, turns, forward and back until you become comfortable. Paying close attention to what you learn about your operations, then you can teach your bride what you observed and learned so that you both can operate comfortably.

Add the length to the sticks, if that doesn't make you more comfortable, add the front weight.

Always listen to bert's comments as he is always on target. He knows his stuff.

Good luck and once again, thank you for your service,

Hooah

Semper Fi