HRX217TDA 3-Speed Control Cable Replacement

lishper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

I have a HRX217TDA that I've been refurbishing back to life the past few weeks. The only remaining issue I see on the mower is that it only goes one speed even though you can freely move the cable between the 3-speed settings. I tried adjusting the cable on the throttle handle but unfortunately it didn't make much of a difference.

When I flipped over the mower and traced the cable to the transmission, I noticed it is in bad shape. The outer sheath of the cable has worn off completely and the cable itself looks like it's starting to unwind. I have no problem replacing the cable, but I can't find anything regarding how the cable is supposed to attach to the transmission. I don't want to have to remove the entire transmission to replace the cable, but I know I have to remove the bottom shutter to better access the transmission.

Does anyone have any docs or photos out there to help with the positioning of how the cable is supposed to attach to the transmission? This isn't the clutch cable but the speed adjustment cable for the transmission. I've found that the clutch cable just clips to a part on the transmission but the speed cable looks like it's not the same attachment.

Thanks in advance for the help!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't find anything regarding how the cable is supposed to attach to the transmission. I don't want to have to remove the entire transmission to replace the cable, but I know I have to remove the bottom shutter to better access the transmission.

I do recall you need to fully remove the transmission from the mower to access the shift cable connection point (a Z-bend though a hole the this shifter arm(.; it is only '1 screw' but takes a bit of effort to get to it. The drive belt is under constant tension, and you need to drop that belt, drain fuel/oil, etc. as the mower must be inverted to get to everything.

28565845153_7a67d65923_o.png

28897666900_ef8fa92cbc_o.png

28565802113_0fea7c8719_o.png

The above pages are the 'install' steps from the Honda factory shop manual, which Honda sells paper copies via eBay and Amazon (free shipping)

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

lishper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help Robert! Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it's good to know. If I were to remove the drive belt and disconnect the tensioner spring, it seems like the transmission would rotate outward, possibly providing enough room to get to the screw needed to remove the clip? Really dreading disassembling the entire rear end to replace this cable.