New Hustler SD with engine issues

Axys

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, Well I have 9 hours on my new SD 54" and the engine is sputtering like it is not getting enough fuel or too much. Bought it from a dealer so Monday I will give him a call. I like the mower but not to impressed so far with this engine. Any thoughts what it could be?

turboawd

Threads
you forget the choke on? maybe partially?
bad fuel?
kohler or kawasaki?

neetan

Threads
Check the air filter, a friend of mine got the sears unit and found the air filter had plastic/paper still around it. Plus is it not time for a oil change, I found on mine the engine ran much better.
Send the dealer a Video and have him look before he come's out to pick up. Hope it helps!

Axys

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has the Kohler 7000 engine. Filter looks like new. Called the dealer today and he told me to drain the fuel and add sea foam. It ran great for about a hour and then it started to shut down like it was not getting enough fuel. Engine never quit running, it would pick up and then do it again. I will change the fuel and give it try again. Its frustrating when you buy a new mower and it runs like this.

Thanks guys

kraky

Threads
There's been reports on the Kohler 7000 engine of a casting flaw that somehow affects the functionality of the fuel pump. I don't think it's very widespread but the problem seems to be out there on occasion. I'm under the impression that kohlor is aware of the problem and there may even be a service bulletin out there.

Axys

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kraky, Yeah I herd that too. I hope that is not the problem, but I'am thinking good chance it is.

mhavanti

Threads
I would also check the automatic choke to see if it opening all the way. If it isn't, that will make it run rough and possibly put gasoline in the oil. It will certainly wash down the cylinders.

Axys

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks mhavanti, PM sent

DJ660

Threads
They need to remove engine blower housing and make sure the choke air vane can mover freely, seen a few were the ignition coil kill wire would make contact with air vane and not let air vane have its full range of travel.

MARK TOWNSEND

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, Well I have 9 hours on my new SD 54" and the engine is sputtering like it is not getting enough fuel or too much. Bought it from a dealer so Monday I will give him a call. I like the mower but not to impressed so far with this engine. Any thoughts what it could be?

I JUST GOT A NEW ONE AND ITS DOING THE SAME THING.THEY PICKED MINE UP 2 DAYS AGO.ILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY FIND.