Snapper 28" rider no forward gear after warmup

Oldmactech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Standard 90's model hi-vac 28" (sorry don't have model numb) but typical rubber when drive gear.

After startup, a little hesitation going into first gear. Ez transfer to other gears and reverse.

30 min mow, got off to open gate and put in neutral. Now no forward gear, plenty of reverse?

Roller? Clutch cable? Other?

Jb

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well I guess you will have to do a little checking yourself. Stand the thing up on its'rear standards after removing battery if it has one and closing gas tank vent. You should be able to see why the rubber tired driven wheel is not making good contact with the metal drive disc. IF this is a "Smooth Start Drive" make sure it has a liner inside the rubber tired driven wheel. You may need to loosen the 2 studs holding the bracket surrounding the sifter lever and moving it so that the rubber tired wheel contacts the drive wheel.

Walt Conner

Psychlopath

Threads
Any time I've had anything like this happen on my old mower, I've simply adjusted the drive disk to fix it. It can be a pain just because of all the stuff in front of the drive disk that makes it hard to get a proper tool in there, but a hex socket on a small extension and a 1/4" ratchet have worked well for me. Corrosion can be an issue too, so proceed accordingly.

Here is a diagram of the adjustment:

DriveDrivenadj.jpg

If you have some rust issues, it can be a pain to get the drive disk to move on the output shaft, but a wooden dowel and a hammer can help loosen things up a bit.

A couple of things to remember:

Only do this adjustment with the mower in "Neutral."

Be sure to really tighten (I haven't found a recommendation for how much torque to use) the two grub screws in the drive disk, or you'll have to do this adjustment after just a few hours of mowing.

The job will be easier and more pleasant if you take a pressure washer, or at least a leaf blower, to the whole mower (top and bottom) before you deal with it.

A cheap adjustable combo square like this makes it very easy to measure the adjustment.