FV460V stalls under ful load

rpl3000

Threads
Hello looking for some direction on where to start trouble shooting. FV460V engine starts fine (2nd pull), but when I engage the blades and start moving, it stalls after ~10 ft. I can grab the pto and stop the blades and the motor recovers. It runs fine full throttle when the blades are engaged or when moving, but not both. I can mow about 20 ft if I throttle it back a bit. The choke control is on the same lever as the throttle (push past full to choke). What is the best way to check that it is set correctly?

How does the idle air mixture screw set? I've been experimenting turning it 1/4 in and out at a time but I don't want to lean out the engine and overheat it. The engine manual says clockwise is lean but since its on the backside of the carb I'm unsure if this means tighten direction or not. Besides the idle screw and the mixture screw there isn't much else to tweak. The manual says turn it in until it seats and then back out 1 1/8 turn.

most important question - How can I tell if the engine is running too lean?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

you will find your service manual here
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/
Full speed is a bit different on governed engines.
Full speed ( ~ 3600 rpm) is called High Idle and the govener attempts to keep the engine spinning at this speed when under load by opening the throttle further.
It is exactly the same as you putting you foot on the gas pedal when going up a big hill at a constant speed.

However if the carb is blocked, if the fuel supply is poor then putting the foot down allows more air but not enough fuel and the engine dies till the correct balance of air to fuel is restored.
Or in your case, the govenor takes its foot off the gas.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the spark plug(s) & look closely at it/ them, if they are very White, you are running lean.

Good burn should be light tan/ to light brown on spark plug tips.

Clockwise is turning the mix screw IN (Leaner)

Counter CW is outward= richer.