Remote Oil Filter, Oil Coolers and 2 Quart Filter

ken_clifton

Threads
Here are some photos of my remote oil filter and dual oil cooler mods for my SCAG Tiger Cub with a Briggs 44 series Intek.

scag_tiger_cub_showing_dual_coolers.jpg

The remote oil filter and the dual oil coolers (engine and hydraulic) are all mounted to the ROPS on the SCAG. A convienent way for me to keep up with both oil temperature and oil pressure on one gauge was to use a Honeywell boiler gauge called a tridicator. It is installed in front of the remote filter adapter with its sense probe directly in the oil flow.

td-090-4.jpg

The engine oil capacity increased to about 2.7 quarts with a 1 quart filter and 3.2 quarts with a 2 quart oil filter. All lines are 1/2 inch oil cooler lines. Oil coolers are Tru-Cool B7B with 1/2in NPT inlet and outlets.

long_filter.jpg

long_filter_another.jpg

The mechanical boiler gauge that I am using is not oil filled so I see every pulsation of the pressure very quickly. With the 1 quart Wix 51515 (21 micron) filter I was seeing some interesting things with oil pressure. When the engine was cold I would have about 30 pounds at idle. Once the engine warmed up I would see 40 pounds of pressure. The higher pressure would happen at about 180 degrees oil temp. Also, pulling the throttle back to idle when the oil temp was about 150 would cause the pressure to go up rather than down. I have read the specs for the yellow OE Briggs oil filter -- it is rated at 32 microns with a bypass of 8 psi.

I have read that most filters bypass when the oil is cold. Sure enough, when I installed the Wix 51459 2 quart filter (25 micron) the oil pressure cold was 45 pounds and was still running that when the engine was hotter. No difference when I change the throttle. The intent of switching from the 1 quart to 2 quart oil filter was really just to help with the volume of oil, I had no idea it might help in any other way.

ken_clifton

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ken Good stuff . Keep it coming. motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

gasjr4wd

Threads
  • / Remote Oil Filter, Oil Coolers and 2 Quart Filter
WOW
I like this.
OEM should do this. once mine is out of warrantee...
I had no idea these little engines had just a robust oil pump.