Cub Cadet LTX1050VT - broken deck skirt welded on, how to fix?

mjw357

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet LTX1050VT - broken deck skirt welded on, how to fix?
Wife was mowing tonight and mower died with a terrible sound. The skirt or brace, whatever it's called, that spans the discharge side of the deck broke loose at the front and got clobbered by the blade.

s-l1600.jpg

The stamped part is totally trashed, I can't save it. It was welded on, I cut it off with a sawzall. Will I have to have something fabricated to replace it? We are just being careful to only mow on level ground for the time being.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Since that's a stamped not fab deck its also a structural part of the deck.I'd fab something or carry it to a welding shop as soon as I could.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The piece in question is only there to stop you from bending the deck back if you hit something. Take it to a welding shop and have them weld in a scrap piece of steal. It does not have to match the old peice just not interfere with the blades.

mjw357

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the problem is it is flat so only has strength in 2 directions.
Normally I weld a length of round reo bar over the discharge chute on mower decks.
About 4' to 6' long to spread the load created by the discharge hole.
Reo bar is cheap every scrap yard will have tons of offcuts and just pick a size that sits nicely inside the upturned edge.
I do the same thing on the other side when the upturn gets ground down.