Dixon ztr transmission issues

Homer1

Threads
Our Dixon dealers are drying up around here. I planned on buying one from my local farm supply store, but they quit carrying them a couple of years ago, although I still see several in my area.

Anyway, this really sounds like a fluid or air issue to me. I'm no expert, but that's where I would look first.

On my scag, there are hoses running to the hydros from a small reservoir tank, this tank lets the fluid expand once the drives heat up, causing the level in the tank to go up some. It has to have a place to go or it will build up pressure and cause problems. I am not sure of the design of the Dixon or how they have it, but make sure the tanks if supplied aren't over half full cold, and make sure there's something in the sight window as well to prevent air from getting in.

I only know the newer style drives, so I can't speak for the older sealed style. I have an old JD hydro tractor that i've never even looked at, it just keeps running, I don't check or add. Almost afraid to :)

lue

Threads
Thank You Homer1 for replying to my post.

BlazNT has been giving me advice and after doing the belt thing he also said to go to the fluid etc as possible culprit.

In am getting up my courage to go get the mower out of the garage again today and see if I can even find what hes talking about. Purging??? Well that would be another whole issue.
My usual Dixon supplier and repair is no longer in business and not sure where to go if I can't figure it out. Any place would probably be a fifty mile drive, And no one wants to come and pick it up.
Well they would but for a lot of money!!

I'll use some of you response and see if I can make any sense of anything and then proceed. Just hate to spend a whole month of my social security. That would be quite a burden for me.

Thanks Again!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Purging the air is very simple. Jack up the mowers rear tires. Move the free wheel levers to free wheel. Sit on mower and start it. Run the controls forward for 10 seconds then backwards for 10 seconds. Parking break on and levers in neutral. Get off mower. Move free wheel levers back to drive position and repeat the process. You may have to do it more than one time. Remember muffler is very hot do not touch it.

Homer1

Threads
Here is a nifty how to for purging the hydrogear motors.. maybe this will at least address one possible issue, which is air in the lines..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFgt0GgjNg

The Dixon manual also suggests to change the fluid and filters on the trans-axles at 100 hours. Not sure if that maintenance has been done, but it could be needed. I am sure there are millions of mowers out there however that skipped this service.

lue

Threads
Don't see any plug but even if I did I would have no way to get at it. Purging? What would cause air to get in? Nobody seems to want to fix it so have been offered $700 for it which seems a shame! But.

Homer1

Threads
Are there any hoses running to the drive motors that run up into the frame somewhere?

It could be moisture in there also.. Hydraulic lines are notorious for picking up moisture or air if any leaks are present, or seals have gone bad. If it's moisture it may just need a fluid and filter change.

Any leaks around where it's being or has been parked that are noticeable?

Don't sell it too fast, it has to be something simple.

lue

Threads
No hoses that I can find accept for a small diameter hose at top that appears to be a vent hose.
There is no visible filter nor any place to drain or add fluid that I can find. In my studies it seemed to be a sealed system. And no maintenance needed

BlazNT suggested yesterday to check fluid levels but i can find no place to do so plus if there was it would be impossible to get too.
He also asked if I had purged the air and I may try that unless you have another suggestion.

Again hard to figure how air could be there. New pumps are $750 times one or two but have no idea if they are shot. When I got a trade number from dealer I was honest about the issue, because thats who I am, thus he assumed the pump or pumps would need relaceing.

lue

Threads
Also parts manual shows no tank, belts or filters.

lue

Threads
I meant hoses not belts.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The drives are EZT 2200
Air can get into the system by driving on a grade larger that 15%
The fill hole is not a bolt but a plug with a hex hole in it. Im looking for a picture of it.