Riding Mower technique question. Am I just doing it wrong?

Faralon

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Riding Mower technique question. Am I just doing it wrong?
1st post, glad to be here! Hoping you guys can help me out.

Lawn size: Just under an acre (0.7). 31,000 sq ft. (Actual lawn area)
Mower: John Deere LA115 42", 2-blade mower deck.
New Blades

Looking out the front door, my lawn slopes to the right.

If I'm mowing up/down the slope and when I'm mowing left to right against the slope (its not too steep), I'm getting blade cuts deeper on one side.

However, this doesn't seem to be an issue on the part of the lawn that is fairly flat.

Note: The lawn is not perfectly/professionally leveled, so it has its imperfections.

I know my mower deck is level, but I'm wondering about the wheels on the front left/rigth of the deck. They're typically off the ground, but I believe this is correct.

I'm wondering if I need to do some adjusting to these, or if its just the nature of s somewhat bumpy lawn?

Any suggestions?

In this 1st shot you can see the slope of the lawn. Cuts are pretty good until you get to the slope.
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Another shot of the cuts on the side as I start going perpendicular to the slope
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
A pretty deep cut
FullSizeRender.jpg

BoylermanCT

Threads
I would vote to switch and mow up and down the hill. You should not have the same problem. The issue is the amount of deck overhang that sticks out past the tractor wheels. The edge of the deck can dip in an cause the gouging. The only way to prevent it is if the deck guide wheels can go lower to stop the gouging, but most deck wheels will not go that low.

This is why smaller decks often give nicer cut - the deck overhang past the tractor wheels is less, so there is less gouging.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I see a deck that is not level in both pictures. Are you checking for levelness by measuring the tip of the blade on both sides or the deck housing. Should be using blade tip.

sidemouse

Threads
I would recommend checking tire pressure and make sure they are up to Max. PSI sidewall b/c a tire that's low on air will do it, too.

neetan

Threads
Plus I would check the swing of the deck, where it hangs of the mower, see if there is an issue. If the back bolts are not level then that will also cause the issue. In the JD they are locked and not in a swing mode but the sears it is in a swing mode.

Good luck

I would recommend checking tire pressure and make sure they are up to Max. PSI sidewall b/c a tire that's low on air will do it, too.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The spindles in an Edge deck don't live very long.
I've replaced them in two LA 120 machines for a relative.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The machine front wheel bearings may be worn allowing the front wheels to get floppy.
Correct tire pressure?
After all this, then check the deck for level.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Level the blades cutting edges with a gauge that tells you the cutting edges of the blades are in perfect height alignment rather than attempting to read numbers. Then if the cut is still not satisfactory you'll know to look elsewhere for the problem.

Attachments

• deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 27

send2den

Threads
I've got that same garden tractor and have had the same conditions you talk about. As long as I am going up/down as opposed to sidestrattling, I'm OK. I've checked the deck levelness, blade heights tire pressures the whole nine yards. The only conclusion I came to was that at an angle when sidestrattling the weight is still forcing the whole mower to be lower on the bottom side. Unscientific I know, but only thing that made sense. I do like the idea you brought up on lowering the anti scalp wheels (Mine has the 2 on the front sides of the deck). I just went out to the garage and checked mine. Mine are set 1 hole from the bottom. My scalp issue doesn't seem as bad as what you have, but it does scalp from time to time, especially when I am turning upward onto a slope. Maybe try the anti scalp wheels. It can't hurt. If they are all the way down, that's out of the equation.

stephan

Forum Newbie
Threads
This seems a mower deck misadjustment issue. If the cutting blades are not newly installed/changed or deck-tire pressure is fine, you need to check with the owner's operative manuals and user guide. Cutting height adjustment and mower deck alignment are crucial to avoid scalping or uneven mowing.
1st post, glad to be here! Hoping you guys can help me out.

Lawn size: Just under an acre (0.7). 31,000 sq ft. (Actual lawn area)
Mower: John Deere LA115 42", 2-blade mower deck.
New Blades

Looking out the front door, my lawn slopes to the right.

If I'm mowing up/down the slope and when I'm mowing left to right against the slope (its not too steep), I'm getting blade cuts deeper on one side.

However, this doesn't seem to be an issue on the part of the lawn that is fairly flat.

Note: The lawn is not perfectly/professionally leveled, so it has its imperfections.

I know my mower deck is level, but I'm wondering about the wheels on the front left/rigth of the deck. They're typically off the ground, but I believe this is correct.

I'm wondering if I need to do some adjusting to these, or if its just the nature of s somewhat bumpy lawn?

Any suggestions?

In this 1st shot you can see the slope of the lawn. Cuts are pretty good until you get to the slope.
View attachment 29601
Another shot of the cuts on the side as I start going perpendicular to the slope
View attachment 29602
A pretty deep cut
View attachment 29603