Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mower
    John Deere

Riding Mower technique question. Am I just doing it wrong?

1st post, glad to be here! Hoping you guys can help me out.

Lawn size: Just under an acre (0.7). 31,000 sq ft. (Actual lawn area)
    Mower: John Deere LA115 42", 2-blade mower deck.
    New Blades

Looking out the front door, my lawn slopes to the right.

If I'm mowing up/down the slope and when I'm mowing left to right against the slope (its not too steep), I'm getting blade cuts deeper on one side.

However, this doesn't seem to be an issue on the part of the lawn that is fairly flat.

Note: The lawn is not perfectly/professionally leveled, so it has its imperfections.

I know my mower deck is level, but I'm wondering about the wheels on the front left/rigth of the deck. They're typically off the ground, but I believe this is correct.

I'm wondering if I need to do some adjusting to these, or if its just the nature of s somewhat bumpy lawn?

Any suggestions?

In this 1st shot you can see the slope of the lawn. Cuts are pretty good until you get to the slope.
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    Another shot of the cuts on the side as I start going perpendicular to the slope
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    A pretty deep cut
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Mower
    Hustler Raptor SD 54"

Re: Riding Mower technique question. Am I just doing it wrong?

I would vote to switch and mow up and down the hill. You should not have the same problem. The issue is the amount of deck overhang that sticks out past the tractor wheels. The edge of the deck can dip in an cause the gouging. The only way to prevent it is if the deck guide wheels can go lower to stop the gouging, but most deck wheels will not go that low.

This is why smaller decks often give nicer cut - the deck overhang past the tractor wheels is less, so there is less gouging.

Mower
    Toro

I see a deck that is not level in both pictures. Are you checking for levelness by measuring the tip of the blade on both sides or the deck housing. Should be using blade tip.
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Mower
    Various

I would recommend checking tire pressure and make sure they are up to Max. PSI sidewall b/c a tire that's low on air will do it, too.

Mower
    Hustler Fastrack SD 48"/ Echo Trimmer, Stihl Chainsaws

Plus I would check the swing of the deck, where it hangs of the mower, see if there is an issue. If the back bolts are not level then that will also cause the issue. In the JD they are locked and not in a swing mode but the sears it is in a swing mode.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by sidemouse View Post
    I would recommend checking tire pressure and make sure they are up to Max. PSI sidewall b/c a tire that's low on air will do it, too.

1,000 Post Club

Mower
    Scag Tiger Cub, Ingersoll 4018, Hustler X-ONE MoJack Pro

Cool Re: Riding Mower technique question. Am I just doing it wrong?

The spindles in an Edge deck don't live very long.
    I've replaced them in two LA 120 machines for a relative.

1,000 Post Club

Mower
    Scag Tiger Cub, Ingersoll 4018, Hustler X-ONE MoJack Pro

Cool Re: Riding Mower technique question. Am I just doing it wrong?

The machine front wheel bearings may be worn allowing the front wheels to get floppy.
    Correct tire pressure?
    After all this, then check the deck for level.

1,000 Post Club

Mower
    Murray

Level the blades cutting edges with a gauge that tells you the cutting edges of the blades are in perfect height alignment rather than attempting to read numbers. Then if the cut is still not satisfactory you'll know to look elsewhere for the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mower
    Hustler Fas Trac SD

I've got that same garden tractor and have had the same conditions you talk about. As long as I am going up/down as opposed to sidestrattling, I'm OK. I've checked the deck levelness, blade heights tire pressures the whole nine yards. The only conclusion I came to was that at an angle when sidestrattling the weight is still forcing the whole mower to be lower on the bottom side. Unscientific I know, but only thing that made sense. I do like the idea you brought up on lowering the anti scalp wheels (Mine has the 2 on the front sides of the deck). I just went out to the garage and checked mine. Mine are set 1 hole from the bottom. My scalp issue doesn't seem as bad as what you have, but it does scalp from time to time, especially when I am turning upward onto a slope. Maybe try the anti scalp wheels. It can't hurt. If they are all the way down, that's out of the equation.
    Hustler 54" Fas Trac Super Duty
    JD 42" 115 Automatic Garden Tractor
    Honda 21" GCV 160 Auto Choke self propelled
    Husqvarna 128LD Trimmer
    Husqvarna 125B Blower
    MTD Yard Machine 3.5 HP Edger

Mower
    Ariens

This seems a mower deck misadjustment issue. If the cutting blades are not newly installed/changed or deck-tire pressure is fine, you need to check with the owner's operative manuals and user guide. Cutting height adjustment and mower deck alignment are crucial to avoid scalping or uneven mowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faralon View Post
    1st post, glad to be here! Hoping you guys can help me out.

Lawn size: Just under an acre (0.7). 31,000 sq ft. (Actual lawn area)
    Mower: John Deere LA115 42", 2-blade mower deck.
    New Blades

Looking out the front door, my lawn slopes to the right.

If I'm mowing up/down the slope and when I'm mowing left to right against the slope (its not too steep), I'm getting blade cuts deeper on one side.

However, this doesn't seem to be an issue on the part of the lawn that is fairly flat.

Note: The lawn is not perfectly/professionally leveled, so it has its imperfections.

I know my mower deck is level, but I'm wondering about the wheels on the front left/rigth of the deck. They're typically off the ground, but I believe this is correct.

I'm wondering if I need to do some adjusting to these, or if its just the nature of s somewhat bumpy lawn?

Any suggestions?

In this 1st shot you can see the slope of the lawn. Cuts are pretty good until you get to the slope.
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    Another shot of the cuts on the side as I start going perpendicular to the slope
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    A pretty deep cut
    FullSizeRender.jpg