Oil Cooler Retrofit

Scott L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

I've got an oil cooler Kohler part# 24-594-21-F which came from a Kohler CH20 spec #64694, and I'd like to put on my Cub Cadet with a CH20 spec #64638 engine, which was not equipped with an oil cooler.

I'm concerned about a small hole on the filter boss on the block that is at about 10 o'clock . It would appear to be an oil passage that goes somewhere. With an oil filter attached, that passage would be connected with the larger supply passage which is at about 8 o'clock.
The oil cooler itself has a blind hole, approximately 7/32" in diameter on the surface that mates with the block, which corresponds with that hole (oil passage) at 10 o'clock on the block. But being a blind hole, it would seem to block off that oil passage entirely.

It would appear that if there was a slot connecting that 7/32" hole with the large supply passage, the flow of oil between them would behave as it did with an oil filter attached.

Has anybody ever done a retrofit like this, or have any knowledge as to issues that need to be addressed?

I am a machinist, so I could easily create a connecting passage as I mentioned.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have done a retrofit cooler and fan shown in this forum (search function), and may do another soon (Intek 24 both). Not entirely clear on your details, but for many applications a "sandwich adapter" is screwed onto the existing oil filter threaded fitting. This adapter has typically an in and out port for the cooler , usually 3/8NPT and sometimes some 1/8 NPT plugs for gauges. They run about $20 online

Scott L

Forum Newbie
Threads
The oil cooler I have is a cast aluminum unit. It is not a unit that has a separate radiator. It's basically a chamber with cooling fins all over it.
The hole in the oil filter boss I refer to in my original post may just be a blind hole that I assumed to be an oil passage. I did an oil change a few weeks ago so that's why I remember seeing that hole but did not investigate further. I will have the engine off the tractor tomorrow to replace crankshaft seals anyway, so I'll confirm that.

I was just hoping someone might have done the same conversion.

Thanks!

Scott

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That hole sounds a lot like an oil gallery test hole, typically 1/8 npt which can be used to check oil pressure with a gauge or even plumb for a gauge or warning lite.

Scott L

Forum Newbie
Threads
The hole is on the sealing surface of the oil filter boss. The oil filter covers it when assembled.

Scott L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Installed my oil cooler the other day. The hole I had referred to on the oil filter boss on the block was in fact a blind hole.
Everything went together great.

Kurttb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

I've got an oil cooler Kohler part# 24-594-21-F which came from a Kohler CH20 spec #64694, and I'd like to put on my Cub Cadet with a CH20 spec #64638 engine, which was not equipped with an oil cooler.

I'm concerned about a small hole on the filter boss on the block that is at about 10 o'clock . It would appear to be an oil passage that goes somewhere. With an oil filter attached, that passage would be connected with the larger supply passage which is at about 8 o'clock.
The oil cooler itself has a blind hole, approximately 7/32" in diameter on the surface that mates with the block, which corresponds with that hole (oil passage) at 10 o'clock on the block. But being a blind hole, it would seem to block off that oil passage entirely.

It would appear that if there was a slot connecting that 7/32" hole with the large supply passage, the flow of oil between them would behave as it did with an oil filter attached.

Has anybody ever done a retrofit like this, or have any knowledge as to issues that need to be addressed?

I am a machinist, so I could easily create a connecting passage as I mentioned.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Hi Scott, how did that Oil cooler install work out for ya? I'm looking for a used Kohler oil cooler myself new ones are running $160.+ I have a Kohler CH20 on my Walker MT42