LX188 leaking fuel out of carburetor

claystroyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got this tractor FREE:biggrin: from my grandpa and almost as soon as I got it it started leaking fuel out of the carburetor. We brought it to at least 3 fixit people and it has had visits to each guy twice:mad:. I cannot figure out what is wrong, we have bought a new carburetor and that one leaks, we have used the old one and parts off of new and it still leaks:thumbdown:. It is a nice tractor and I want it fixed!!We got it back from a guy and he did something with the seats, and it ran like a deere for a while, then I started it again and it ran like crap, and started pouring fuel again:mad::thumbdown: But it ran great until it was like a "switch" and then there was gas again. Please, any suggestions would be great!
17hp kawasaki liquid cooled v-twin

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I got this tractor FREE:biggrin: from my grandpa and almost as soon as I got it it started leaking fuel out of the carburetor. We brought it to at least 3 fixit people and it has had visits to each guy twice:mad:. I cannot figure out what is wrong, we have bought a new carburetor and that one leaks, we have used the old one and parts off of new and it still leaks:thumbdown:. It is a nice tractor and I want it fixed!!We got it back from a guy and he did something with the seats, and it ran like a deere for a while, then I started it again and it ran like crap, and started pouring fuel again:mad::thumbdown: But it ran great until it was like a "switch" and then there was gas again. Please, any suggestions would be great!
17hp kawasaki liquid cooled v-twin

:welcome:

Does grandpa have a funny sense of humour ?

Only a few reasons why a carbs leak fuel

1) dirty fuel preventing the needle seating properly
2) dirty or damaged needle and or seat
3) cracked or warped bowl
4) broken, cracked float bowl gasket
5) wrong carb for fuel pump- excessive fuel supply pressure.
6) bad seal on the cut off solenoid

As you got the mower for free, go to the JD web site and spend $ 60 on the JD manual.
You will save more than that on the first time you fix anything.
They are written for people who do not know which end of a screwdriver you hold

claystroyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

Does grandpa have a funny sense of humour ?

Only a few reasons why a carbs leak fuel

1) dirty fuel preventing the needle seating properly
2) dirty or damaged needle and or seat
3) cracked or warped bowl
4) broken, cracked float bowl gasket
5) wrong carb for fuel pump- excessive fuel supply pressure.
6) bad seal on the cut off solenoid

As you got the mower for free, go to the JD web site and spend $ 60 on the JD manual.
You will save more than that on the first time you fix anything.
They are written for people who do not know which end of a screwdriver you hold

My Grandpa babied it and did service for it all the time, and I just recently got a suggestion that the carburetor has a brass hookup fuel return line that should have a hose attached and the hose would return to the another brass hookup and that would explain the surging because of low pressure in carb. :confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My Grandpa babied it and did service for it all the time, and I just recently got a suggestion that the carburetor has a brass hookup fuel return line that should have a hose attached and the hose would return to the another brass hookup and that would explain the surging because of low pressure in carb. :confused2:

You will find the engine manual here
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

No return line shown, just an in & out on the mechanical fuel pump and a fuel inlet on the carb

claystroyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I watched it without the heat shield over the carb and the overflow tube shoots gas out of it:thumbdown:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I watched it without the heat shield over the carb and the overflow tube shoots gas out of it:thumbdown:

Picture of what you are calling overflow tube please.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't matter where it escaping from, it can only come from the float valve because the float needle is not shutting off the fuel.

Oliver 77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having the same problem. Replaced carb twice with new Chinese made ones, they both shoot a steady stream of gas out of the overflow. Tried bending the tab on the float a bit to set fuel level lower but a slight bend resulted in needle valve not opening at all. The needle valve has a spring loaded actuator, so it seems there should be a range of float adjustment that would work. Engine runs fine, so I'm thinking of running the overflow line back to the tank if I can't figure anything else out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What was that dad used to say ?
"he who buys cheap pays thrice"
So why not replace the carb with an original one or if that is beyond your means then a guaranteed after market one from a real vendor or heaven forbid, a mower shop .