HRX217HZA - Starting and Charging and other questions.

HRX217HZA

Threads
  • / HRX217HZA - Starting and Charging and other questions.
I have a HRX2173HZA (MAGA - 2077102) which I bought new in 2013 (May I think).

I thought it was the current model at the time.

I remember at the time reading references to some but not all of these actually charged the battery while running and am wondering it this one does. (Or even if that was ever true). I've been doing some lurking and read references to "early" and "late" battery compartments and this one appears to have the "early" style. (Held together by clips).

A couple of weeks back when I went to start it the starter would just whirr and not turn the engine, fired right up with the recoil starter and only did it one other time that mowing session, it has not done it again since. I did charge the battery thinking perhaps it was weak. I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer since it seems unlikely to act up on them. Any ideas for things to check?

Edit: I guess I really didn't have any other questions :) right now any way...

HRX217HZA

Threads

Thanks for that, not sure how I missed it - I actually do read the manuals. The manual for my serial number says it does NOT charge the battery so that answers my question that some do and some don't and mine don't :)

Probably going to chock the starting issue up to a low battery unless it happens again.

Bookmarked.

Thanks

HRX217HZA

Threads
Well, that didn't last long...

It did it again yesterday evening... Guess I'll wait for it to be frequent enough to be diagnosable by the dealer, unless someone has suggestions.

primerbulb120

Threads
That sounds like a low battery, maybe your charging system isn't working right. Keep using the mower and see if the problem becomes more frequent.

HRX217HZA

Threads
Well that seems to be the thing - at least according to the owners manual it doesn't have a charging system. The manual instructs the user to charge it for 24 hours at the beginning and end of the season.

The battery currently reads 12.72V - it has not been charged or run more than a few minutes since the last incident.

The fuses are good...

When it does this the starter turns, it just doesn't seem to engage the engine. Sounds like a (tiny) car with a stripped ring gear on the flywheel.

I have a service manual on my wish list - guess I will have to go ahed and buy it to see if there are any serviceable/greaseable parts in the starter drive.

It is under warranty, but I'm not really thrilled with the dealer (on an unrelated equipment purchase) so I'd rather fix it myself unless it just outright breaks/hard fails so that can't say NPF...